1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The death of media guides?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, May 18, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, I always thought colleges helped absorb the cost by using them as recruiting tools and a perk for season ticket buyers.

2. I think most schools were already doing that. ... Printing the glossy media guides, and then printing off record and fact book and mailing those out to the media separately.
    If memory serves that was done due to the NCAA? limit on the number of pages in a media guide. When the guides began to get really bloated, 300-plus pages, didn't the NCAA step in and say enough?
    As a result, schools just took out the records and such and mailed it out separately.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the colleges were able to be reasonable and keep their media guides the size of the pro teams this never would have happened.

I think it was a few years ago that a college football writer (KC probably) predicted how the Big 12 would finish based on the weight of the media guide. I think he got the first six and the last four right. It was a hilarious story.

The biggest NFL guide is about a third of the size of the biggest college guide.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does Miami still put out a monster?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The worst offender, fittingly enough, was Mizzou. They sent us their media guide one year. It was like 650 pages, and this was before they had any sort of football success. Nebraska's used to be a monster, too.

6. Mizzougrad96

Texas and Oklahoma were the worst offenders that I remember. Nebraska's was a beast. The Big 12 books always seemed to be bigger than the SEC, which kind of surprised me.

7. 93Devil

Illiteracy hinders some of the SEC states, but I guess you could fill it with pictures. But then that does not explain Texas.

8. Mizzougrad96

I wasn't implying anything.

9. 93Devil

Jokes, these are jokes.

Hey look mister, if you are waiting for Billy Graham to walk through that door, it ain't happening. [/donrickles]

10. I think there is limit now as to the size of college media guides.

11. Mizzougrad96

I know but anything here that seems like I'm making fun of anything southern usually turns into something I don't want this thread to be... :D

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think the cap is 208 pages if I remember right. Only problem is when key info like year-by-year results, all-time rivalry results are left out in favor of an extra four pages on the head coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted