1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dead Pool date

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is so freaky.
    Michael Joseph Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009)
    Lisa Nicole Lopes (May 27, 1971 – April 25, 2002)
    Aaliyah Dana Haughton (January 16, 1979 – August 25, 2001)
    James Joseph Brown (May 3, 1933 – December 25, 2006),
    All died on the 25th of the month.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Oh my god. What are the odds that four peope would die on the same day of the month over a period of seven years?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is crazier.

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams - July 4, 1826.

James Monroe - July 4th, 1831.

The odds of this are ridic. Three presidents in the same day - our nation's birthday. Two in the same year - the 50th anniversary of them signing the Declaration.

Three of the first five presidents die on the same day.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They are also all very popular singers. And African American. Three were very young.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth and Elvis --- probably the two most-famous American non-politicians of the 20th century --- both died on Aug. 16.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

In order for your original list to be statistically significant, you'd have to argue that significantly fewer than about 120 black singers (4 people x 30 days in a month) would have qualified for dead pool eligibility over an eight-year period. I'm not sure you can do that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

They're ALL behind it, man...

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

?
    Arnold, no need to think so deeply about this. It's just an oddity. Ease up a bit.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm still trying to figure out the odds of three presidents dying on the fourth of July.

Wouldn't it be 1/365 x 1/365 x 1/365? Then you would have to factor in that they were three men, among a group of 40 dead Presidents.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm just saying, people tend to claim things are freaky when the application of a little logic shows it's really not.

"Holy crap, my kid was born on Christmas! What are the odds?" One in 365. It happens.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And the fact that Jefferson and Adams both died exactly 50 years after signing the Declaration of Independence makes it arguably the greatest coincidence of all time (except maybe for that woman who had five children all on the same day, but in different years).

Draft saved Draft deleted