1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Day SJ.com became Town Hall - 05/19/2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 19, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We should be especially proud of the boopsie redhead who makes money 'screwin' around on Facebook. I like how 'screwin' jumps around, in case no one would notice.

Still no ad blocker for iPad. Help.

You know the movie 'Toys' with Robin Williams? The new management decides it needs more and more space for its nefarious plans, so all the other rooms start shrinking while people are working in them, until all the good stuff is smashed into tiny spaces and the bad stuff gets run of the place. Great movie.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

These ads on the left are killing me. Makes a compelling case to spring for a membership.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Or to download Firefox.

Seriously, I don't see a single ad. The only thing I can't get rid of is the Facebook like button, and that's only because if I adblock that, I'll adblock all of Facebook. I still get the "posts" from SportsJournalists.com, but they're just empty.

It takes a little while to get everything tweaked, but it's well worth it.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't know of these ads you folks are talking about.

#godblesschromeonmacs

But as for ads on this site, and people's complaints about them, well...don't you get what you pay for? And tell me again, what exactly ARE you paying here?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm on a cable modem at home. Thanks to the ads, it's now taking 45-50 seconds for a thread to fully load.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's on your computer then. Something inside there is causing it to take that long.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every other site - including other SMF forums - load in a blink. It's just SJ that's slow.

The problem is the ad located directly above the threads and the Facebook button. Both take forever to load. The ads top right and down the left rail load quickly.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have UVerse. Doesn't load any faster/slower than it ever has before.

It's just uglier.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The left side-saddle finally convinced me to download Ad Blocker.

Love it.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Me too. But I still see all the ads!

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Assuming you have the Firefox one, make sure you add one of the packages of common ads to block. Then, yeah, you have to put a bit of effort in. Right-click on the ads, and down at the bottom are your Adblock options. When it gives you the options of what to block, move it up a couple levels, so that you're blocking everything that comes from a particular site, rather than each individual ad. You may also have to separately block the actual ad frames -- or else you'll still have the boxes taking up space, even though they'll be empty.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Where are the people who say it's unethical to clear your cookies to read the NYTimes.com for free? Shouldn't they chime in?

Draft saved Draft deleted