1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The David Feltner Memorial Assistance Program

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, May 21, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

Posted already in the main thread on David, but didn't want it to get lost and wanted to gauge interest. I think we really should think about setting up the David Feltner Memorial Assistance Program.

My office has something where, for those that participate, $1 comes out of each paycheck and is deposited into an account. The proceeds from vending machines and that also go into the account. If you find yourself in a bad situation, you just write up a request for assistance and the board that runs the fund votes on it. I've not used it, but I know that it's been used and appreciated greatly in the past.

Along those same lines, my suggestion is this: We set up the David Feltner Assistance Program. Hell, I'll run the thing, if folks want. Anyone that wants to donate to the fund at any time, they can send me a check or whatever, and it's dropped into the account. If you'd like, I can have two or three others on here join me and make up the "board." The idea, then, would be that if you find yourself struggling -- I don't know if it necessarily has to be because of the loss of a job in all instances -- you apply for a grant from the fund. Depending on what we've got available and the situation, etc., it may not be a huge amount that is taken out, but it would hopefully help. If all of us on here were even able to drop in $5 now and then, we'd be able to build up a nice fund, I'd think.

Thoughts?

2. jps

jps Active Member

Re: The David Feltner Assistance Program

to add: it was suggested that we use paypal rather than a bank account. I'm open to that, though honestly don't know a hell of a lot about their system. plus, can probably find a savings account where at least we generate a small amount of interest.

but, again, open if that is what the majority wants to use.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd like to think there's a way to proverbially have our cake and eat it too. I'd think it'd be possible to set up a PayPal account AND a savings account. People can donate either by sending a check, cash, money order, etc. OR by sending it through PayPal or by transferring money from one account to another.

I think this has the potential to be a great idea. My concern though would be setting up the criteria that would be used to fund expenditures, how often one can draw from this account, how much, etc. Flying by the seat of our pants can only work so long before the potential for problems and resentment becomes too strong.

4. jps

jps Active Member

I agree, f_t. that's why I think a 'board' is needed, and there would have to be discussion/votes/whatever in each instance. I think it's something that can be a really good thing, and it has to be something that whoever is involved takes seriously. I'm sure we can come up with the 'rules' of the fund, with criteria, etc.

all of this hinges on us, though, as a collective. there needs to actually be enough interest and participation in order to make it work.

5. forever_town

I could at least help administer the board if you'd like. Of course, if one of the board members has to make a request for help, he or she should recuse him/herself from voting.

6. jps

jps Active Member

so, we have two. do I hear three?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am not volunteering to do this, but I think mailing Wal Mart gift cards to a person who can dole them out as needed could be an option as well.

8. Re: The David Feltner Assistance Program

I liked this idea when Lindsey first mentioned it on the other board and am glad someone picked up the steam -- good job, jps.

This would have to be something that's seriously followed up on though as someone said and can't be done lightly or in the emotional aftermath.
    Rules need to be set up and considered. I would volunteer to be on the board, but to be honest I sort of need to get my own stuff in order right now. (I also don't expect or want to call on this for help as no one else does but I think it is a good idea for someone who is in completely dire circumstances.)

It doesn't have to be merely financial -- it can also be a place to find information on health benefit options -- I know, for instance, mediabistro.com offers freelancers insurance plans (though they're not that easy to afford for the unemployed). I think forever-town started a similar thread on that but maybe we could put it all in one place and name it for Dave.
    I think that would be a nice tribute.

Another suggestion a la the wal-mart idea is grocery store gift certificates.

9. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, grocery store cards are a good idea as well. suppose it depends on the person in need. they may have a fully stocked pantry but can't keep the lights on or fill the gas tank. I'd like this to be a fund that can serve in the way that is needed per each situation.

but, again, I need help -- in running the program, yes, but even more in the donation of funds.

if you are interested in helping in some way, please send me a PM and let me know, if you don't want to do it on here. I need to know what the interest is here before we really get going too far.

10. forever_town

I wouldn't be opposed to merging my thread with this thread or a formal Dave Feltner Memorial Assistance Program thread as part of a large source for help for our fellow SportsJournalists.commers.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If anyone's in the DC area and wants to open the account in his or her own name, I can take care of that. Otherwise, I endorse the PayPal option.

12. jps

jps Active Member

well, if it ends up happening and folks want me to head it up, I'll just open an account here so I can have access to it. (I hope enough of you know me well enough to know that I can be trusted in that regard.) that way I can either purchase gift cards for groceries, write a check off the account for them to have cash for bills, whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted