1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Knight Rises. There be SPOILERS here.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

My bad, Dick, I'm an idiot. Wasn't paying attention.

2. bigpern23

I'd probably give it to Spielberg over Cameron if only for the wider variety of genres Spielberg has been able to tackle with overwhelming success. Both directors have really pushed the medium forward, though.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Ridiculous things that have been said/hinted at on this thread - Nolan is the seminal filmmaker of our time. That's in no way true. At the same time, he's not mediocre, or even bad as seems to have been hinted at by some. For those who think it's just spectacle, I present Batman Begins, which is very well done and not nearly as spectacle-driven as TDK or the new one looks like it will be (I also think on repeated viewings it holds up as much better than the Dark Knight). Then, of course, there's Memento, which is also not really a spectacle at all. I can see not liking Inception. I thought it was good, but I can also understand the arguments against it. In general, though, he's a very good filmmaker.

4. bigpern23

Get the hell out of here with this calm, reasoned and balanced response! :D

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My wisecracks about 'spectacle' are pretty clearly pointed at 'Inception' - a movie entirely about its own special effects. In much the same manner as 'Avatar.'

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

But then you seemed to be arguing about directors that are better than him from the standpoint of Inception as his standard work. My apologies if I misread that, though.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I was only arguing the deep ridiculousness that Christopher Nolan is anything like the "seminal filmmaker of our time;" not 'Inception' per se.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

We live in a culture where the McRib is an "event."

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's a total, and an average-per-film as well. And it's not adjusted for inflation.

This one is, by estimating actual tickets sales:

boxofficemojo.com/people/?view=Director&sort=sumgross&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen 'Insomnia'?

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Look at how Spider-Man started and now it's on the 4th movie with a new guy playing Spidey. I HATE that. Spider-Man 3 was the worst one of the first three, the "Attack of the Clones" of the trilogy and they decided to just make another because of the money they will most likely make back.

Some movie series just don't know when to call it a day, and I'm hoping TDKR answers all the questions and ends on a good note -- creatively, not in terms of "the good guy winning out." Don't leave any open doors, that's all.

Draft saved Draft deleted