1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Knight Rises. There be SPOILERS here.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

I don't want to just focus on the "confusing" part. Even the parts that weren't confusing were not good storytelling.

How can Saito make Dom's legal issues disappear with a phone call?

The stakes of the mission aren't high enough.

The dead wife cliche is tired.

Again: The exposition. Holy shit, the exposition.

Even if you can understand everything that's going on, I think that the simultaneous plot lines drain the tension out of the story. The sum is less than the parts in this case.

The bad guys are anonymous.

The good guys are just types to move the plot along. There is almost no characterization. Dom is the exception, and missing kids and dead wife is contrived and a cliche. C'mon, Nolan. You couldn't do better than that?

Her name is "Mal"? Are you fucking serious? Nothing more irritating than an artist who lets you know, on the nose, that he is capable of addressing BIG THEMES. I love John Lennon, but the fact that he named two songs on his first solo effort "God" and "Love" tell me all I need to know about his ego.

Terrible, on-the-nose dialogue: "Cobb has some serious problems that he has buried down there." “You’re going to have to forgive yourself and confront her”

The father-son plot line is so buried in all the mayhem that the moment that is supposed to be this emotional center of the film is pretty much completely lost.

For my money, the best science fiction movie in the last few years is, "Never Let Me Go." Addresses the biggest of the big themes: Mortality. Does so without a single special effect. It's powerful and magnificent.

For spectacle that is a swing and a miss at times, I'll take "The Tree of Life" over "Inception."

2. Dick Whitman

Uh, no.

I think the Coen Brothers are probably the best of this generation. Maybe Tarantino.

Scorsese if you count him since he's getting up there and has been around. Spielberg. Soderbergh. Malick. Von Trier. P.T. Anderson. I think Alexander Payne is moving up the list. Ang Lee. Fincher. Gus Van Sant. For guys to watch, I nominate Tom McCarthy.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As do PT Anderson, Guillermo del Toro, Ang Lee, Hayao Miyazaki, David Lynch, Pedro Almodovar, Wes Anderson, Brad Bird, Tarantino, et al., etc, etc., etc., ad inf.

4. Dick Whitman

Azrael, speaking of Almodovar, have you seen "The Skin I Live In" yet? Looks excellent.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I have not*, but look very much forward to it. He's a family favorite. (*We've been a little housebound lately.)

6. Dick Whitman

Us, too. It's all DVD's these days, except we try to make it out once a month or two. Going to try to hit "The Descendants" and "The Artist" over the next couple weeks.

But I digress.

7. Dick Whitman

Aronofsky.

Shit, how did I forget him?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The DVDs have been a great salvation this fall.

Some more names -

Spike Lee, Ridley Scott, Tim Burton, Martin Scorsese, Wong kar-Wai, Spike Jonze, Peter Jackson, Lars von Trier, David Fincher.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wow, couldn't disagree with this post more.

Terrence Malick? I haven't seen "Tree of Life" yet, but if you want to talk about a director letting you know on the nose that he can address BIG THEMES, I suggest you rewatch "The Thin Red Line." And "The New World" couldn't sniff the jock of Nolan's worst movies. Both men have 10 film credits as directors. It's not even close who has made the better films.

I, personally, can't get into the Coen Brothers. I love "The Big Lebowski," "True Grit" was very good and they've got a few other movies I liked but didn't love. I think Nolan is a better director, but I acknowledge the Coens' talent. That said, they certainly don't shit all over Nolan.

Cuaron is talented as well. I loved "Children of Men" (the long take was worth the price of admission alone), hated Harry Potter (though that was hardly his fault). But again, his list of credits isn't nearly as impressive as Nolan's, "Y Tu Mama Tambien" notwithstanding.

Inarritu's "21 Grams" was great. "Babel" was shit (and is victim of the same thing you criticize Nolan for). "Biutiful" I just couldn't get into. Again, his resume has nothing on Nolan.

Soderbergh is probably the only one on your list who can hold a candle to Nolan's resume and he hasn't done anything really good in a decade (I actually am looking forward to seeing "Contagion," but I haven't heard very good things). He's also got three times as many credits as Nolan.

10. Dick Whitman

Note: That's not my post.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Old Miyazaki maybe, but Ponyo was damn near unwatchable and Howl's Moving Castle wasn't a whole lot better.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We're talking about the same Christopher Nolan that directed 'The Prestige?'

And the "seminal" Hollywood "filmmaker" of "our time" would have to be Spielberg or James Cameron, wouldn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted