1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Knight Rises. There be SPOILERS here.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've got nothing against comicbook movies.
    'Ghost World' is a comicbook movie. It's one of my favorite movies.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, 'Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World' is another comicbook movie that I really love.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

SlashFilm with a solid takedown of the plot holes. A lot of it isn't the actual plot hole - because we can fill in the blanks and suspend some belief - but how they were handled.

http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered-the-dark-knight-rises/

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The only gripe I had was with Bane's mask and the difference why he had to have it in the movie vs the books and Bane wanted to rule Gotham, not necessarily destroy it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I think Nolan felt he had to make a major break from the idiotic version of Bane in "Batman and Robin," in which he was the trained ape for Poison Ivy. So the explanation for the mask needed to be different.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I liked it - like most Nolan movies you have to keep your head in it. And their is a humanity to his movies that actually competes (and usually overcomes) being overwhelmed by the special effects.
    But I do agree with most of the criticisms. Bane's problem was that he just had too much dialogue, to the point that he started to sound like a Dr. Seuss character. There was probably too much dialogue all around.
    I always enjoy watching the cut scenes on DVDs and hearing the explanations from the directors. Typically they say they cut a scene because it was repetitive or they figured the audience could add 2 and 2 and they didn't need to say the answer is four. Throw in the problem with a lot of sequels that you have to carry over all of the characters from the previous films and add new ones and give them all something to do - and it gets a bit much.
    One of the great things about Nolan films is their look. The cinematography is so rich, the special effects don't look cheesy. The other thing about the cinematography is that it makes just about every actor in the frame look like a million bucks, making me think I should recognize every actor because they are shot so well.
    The plot of DNR seemed more complicated than it needed to be for the villains. You want to ruin Wayne, steal his energy thingamabob, destroy Gotham and THEN kill him. Why bother with the nuke?, seems like the explosive concrete was doing a pretty good job.
    One question - does Hines Ward get the points for the TD if there aren't any refs left alive to signal touchdown?

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Another: Bane and the LoS connection and at the end, I just assumed Lucious was looking over one of the other Bats because there would be no way the one Bruce was in survived or retrieved. And the auto was fixed on all of them by Bruce.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I looked up his career stats and didn't see any kickoff returns for touchdowns. So it seems the answer is "no."

Must have been some pissed-off fantasy owners that week ...

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Why do you think Bane went after the football stadium? The henchman he was playing in the League of Shadows fantasy league had Rapid City's quarterback.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Football and Wall Street. America's testicles.

11. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Finally saw the movie last night and I enjoyed it. The third in a series is always hard to pull off because everybody expects different things and the producer can't please everybody.

It didn't seem too long for me. Didn't even have to skip out for a bathroom break.

There were a couple of things that bugged me, but not enough to make me not enjoy the flick.

Anne Hathway was awesome. Loved her in the tight suit.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I wonder how Mike Tomlin felt about the producers having Bill Cowher make a cameo as the "Rogues" coach?

Draft saved Draft deleted