1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Knight Rises. There be SPOILERS here.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I enjoyed both of the other Nolan Batman movies, but I think I'm skipping this one until the DVD release.
    I don't want to sit in a theater for a three-hour comicbook movie.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

The only time I had trouble understanding Bane was when he put Bruce in the prison. And I still got the gist of his taunting.

(Saw it in IMAX, for what it's worth.)

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

These are damn good movies based on a comic book. The Avengers is a comic book movie. You'd think after seeing the other two, you would know the difference.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I didn't have any issues understanding Bane. I thought his voice suited him well.

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

http://jacobinmag.com/blog/2012/07/the-dark-knight-is-no-capitalist/

This is not a movie full of good one-liners. Commando, that’s an action movie with some one-liners. In Dark Knight Rises, one of the characters literally utters, “His only crime was that he loved me.” Someone wrote that.

The writing’s not all bad, and most of the decent lines go to Anne Hathaway’s appealing Catwoman, who also has the most coherent class war angle. The Nolan boys attempt to give her character a dash of hipster-bohemian anticapitalism with a social climbing streak, but her poise and taste for the finer things doesn’t exactly add up to a rough childhood, let alone Billyburg bee-keeping. Rather, it better approximates the privileged upbringing and pricey liberal arts education of Hathaway herself. Still, she’s a welcome presence in a film full of nondescript white dudes with that same Mad-Men-retro slicked hair thing that GQ cannot stop pimping. That’s right, Joseph Gordon Levitt, I called you nondescript, which is better than me saying you are not at all credible as a grizzled cop.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Too f-in' long, almost to a Yankees-Red Sox-esque level of excruciation.

I dug the Selina/Bruce dynamic, but the whole Miranda/Bane revenge on Batman angle was kind of lame, I thought. (I'll duck for a second while others rain in "but that's faithful to the comic book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"-type retorts).

It was still a stupid plot line. I was much more compelled by the Joker's "he just wants to watch the world burn" motivation than Bane's elaborate, month-long, "we're gonna devastate your city and make you watch" torture session.

Dude, just put a bullet in Bruce Wayne's head and be done with it. The rest was just jackin' off.

That said, not a terrible movie. It just had a lot to live up to after the last entry in the series.

7. outofplace

Bane wanting to break Batman was definitely true to the comic. Talia and her relationship to Bane? Not so much.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

So that was Bane's motivation? Just to torture Bruce Wayne? I didn't get that from hearing him say "Elnvfewao awevona ao wenvaw ogjlh sltopi." Still a lame movie.

9. outofplace

Odd. Other than a few lines, everybody else seemed to understand him just fine.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-knight-rises-christian-bale-batman-tom-hardy-bane-275489

From last December, no less.

"Sources close to the movie say Warner Bros. is very aware of the sound issue. One source working on the film says he is 'scared to death' about 'the Bane problem.' "

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The first two Batmans were good, not great, movies. I really enjoyed them.
    Three hours is too long for almost any movie, and I think it's too long here.
    There have been some good three-hour movies, but 'Godfather II'is the only one I can recall that wouldn't have been better of shortened.
    'Return of the King' = too long
    'Gandhi' = too long
    'Gone with the Wind' = too long
    'Doctor Zhivago' = too long
    'Schindler's List' = too long

Those are a few examples of good movies that were still too long.

12. outofplace

I'm not arguing the point about it being too long. I thought so, too.

The dismissal of these as just comic book movies simply gets tiresome. It is a movie based on a comic book. So was Road to Perdition, but I haven't heard that one described as a comic book movie.

The Avengers, however, is a comic book movie. One of the reviews I read before seeing it called it comic book on the big screen, which I thought was a good description. Of course, even there, the description is likely to make some people who are trying way too hard to demonstrate how adult they are to miss a really fun movie.

I have had this discussion many times with my wife, who does not like comics and insists she wants nothing to do with anything related to comics. Never mind that almost every time I've taken her to a comic book movie, she enjoyed it. This included the first two Spider-Man movies, the first two X-Men movies and Iron Man. The two exceptions were X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Punisher (the Thomas Jane one), which both sucked whether you like comics or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted