1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dark Knight is the best movie since...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well, DAMMIT.

Here I was, all set to drive traffic to my fledgling bloggish Web site by writing a scathingly negative review of Dark Knight when everyone else liked it.

And the idea has already been taken by some 12-year-old.

Bollocks, I say. Back to the drawing board.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well played, my friend...well played.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Finally saw it today. I was floored by its quality. And saddened knowing it was the last time I'd see Ledger playing The Joker.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Between the Dark Knight and your blog, one of them is a piece of crap. Can you guess which one?

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Is the answer Jesus?

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Thought Heath Ledger was fantastic, and I came in figuring his performance was bound not to live up to the advance notice.

But it did. And then some.

The movie as a whole? Meh. I kept looking at my watch, which is never a good sign.

I enjoyed "Superbad" much, much more.

Or Iron Man, for that matter, though the ending was disappointing.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As many have said, since No Country and There Will Be Blood.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Best I have seen since American Gangster

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Loved, loved, loved the Dark Knight despite several flaws — Unrealistic cuts, Bale's atrocious "Batman" voice, Sad Cartoon Turtle's lack of chemistry with any of her screen-mates, disappointing ending.

Ledger will go down as one of history's best bad guys, alongside Chigurh, Hannibal, etc.

I'd stop short of considering it a masterpiece because of some casting issues, but it's the best action movie since Gladiator, which was riveting for entirely different reasons. For a superhero movie, it was remarkable.

Overall, I enjoyed Once, Superbad and Knocked Up a hell of a lot more though.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The Counterfeiters is the best movie I saw this year. (I don't think it had a NA release until after the Oscars.) Karl Markovic's performance is at least on a par with Ledger's. Not crazy about TDK. I liked Son of Rambo more. Liked four movies way more than it last year (Zodiac, The Lives of Others, No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood). Outside my top 15 since 2000 (and holding no place for TLOR trilogy).

City of God
    Zodiac
    The Limey (okay, I didn't see it until 2000, limited release the yr before)
    Wonder Boys
    The Aviator
    The Lives of Others
    The Counterfeiters
    A History of Violence
    Gangs of New York
    No Country for Old Men
    There Will Be Blood
    Traffic
    The Good Shepherd
    The Quiet American
    Mystic River

And for what it's worth, Michael Caine's accent in TDK is wrong. It would be appropriate for a London cab driver or a character in The Sweeney but not a butler. I was expecting him to go 'Allo 'Allo 'Allo ... it is an English accent as Americans imagine one. Actually, Alan Napier in the Batman series was closer to the real article. Geilgud is a reference point. It bothered me to no end -- what's more, Caine knew it. He hardly sounded different as a gangster in Mona Lisa.

YD&OHS, etc

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Watched it last night...

Ledger was great

Nothing else was great.

Too long
    Too verbose it parts
    Too dark (I could not see a lot of the action)
    Bale's voice was awful

The hospital explosion was cool, though.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ouch, yet true...

Draft saved Draft deleted