1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The danger of taking that great-sounding Internet gig ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by anonymousprick, Mar 9, 2007.

1. NBCSports.com laid off several in editorial today, just months after going on a massive hiring spree and talking a big game about becoming a real player.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is a D_B for anybody who lived through the popping of the Internet bubble and/or the National Sports Daily bubble.

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Do you have any details as to why?

4. or who?

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Say Tom Curran didn't get it!

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

didn't get what? the axe?

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'd say that's a danger in any "startup" company, which NBCsports.com basically is ... going from irrelevant to, well, trying to be relevant (and not succeeding yet).

8. Tom's a good guy and got a lot of promises from the NBC people

sure hope he's not affected

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but those of us who suffered thru the former (wish I was old enough/talented enough to have suffered thru the latter as anything but a reader) were told this time was gonna be different. And with NBC behind it, I sorta believed it.

I'll be surprised if they cover anything besides football and whatever baseball stuff they can get from the Rotoworld guys.

10. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

A buddy of mine works for one of the bigger internet sites and he says the job security is much stronger there than at the paper he was formerly at. It seems like that's not the case, obviously, at nbc, but I don't think this is an internet-wide issue.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude has migrated to an Internet start-up (they still have those?), so there's not too much pressure on me these days. :eek:

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted