1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Daily Show on the newspaper industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I used to be an investment banker, but I got out 15 years before the threat of government pay caps. Sadly, that trivia is about all I remember.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

NYT also interviewed Jones for a story. Some funny stuff here ...

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/11/the-daily-show-meets-the-new-york-times-times-survives/

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What struck me is how little laughing you could hear from the audience, outside the obvious punch lines. It's like the bit wasn't funny because it's pure fact to them, the newspapers-as-dinosaur thing.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Well, that, and Jason Jones' smug fucking attitude was just not very funny.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I disliked it, not because it ripped newspapers, but because it just wasn't funny outside of the spinning laptop and the "today" question.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hope so. That show has better "correspondents."

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jason Jones is excellent, but what you say is true. At best, he is the third-funniest correspondent.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

How much news in the paper happened today is a great question.
    Except for sports staffs who crank out news as it happens, newspapers have lost it.
    How many papers have their lead story planned for every day of the week on Monday?
    Many, because newspapers higher-ups are in love with meetings and "planning."
    Fuck planning. Put out a damn newspaper.
    This is one reason the business is dead. Newspapers do not cover the news and analyze the news, they write horrid features to satisfy the meeting people.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not surprisingly, we disagree 95 percent (I'll give you five).

The "planned" things are in fact one thing traditional newspapers continue to do really well, in most cases far better than Internet-only entities.

Those "planned" things include all of the watchdog work newspapers are still essential for -- along with the big features by the remaining good writers that somebody is willing to take 20 minutes to read.

Newspapers still have to do some reacting to news, obviously, but in a lot of cases, when the paper hits your doorstep, 150 other outlets have already reacted, and everybody already knows the basics of the news.

A project on rampant overtime in a local government agency, "planned" for the Sunday paper? That's where daily papers are still coming through for their readership -- at least as much as dwindling resources allows.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What he should have said in response is, "The measurement always has been and always will be what's in it that no other news organization has, and we have lots of that." PM papers, especially on the West Coast, had shitloads of today's news in them and AM papers never did.

The flack showed too much restraint in not saying: "Woodward and Bernstein? In The New York Times' newsroom? In the building that's only a year old? Are you retarded?"

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I thought the editor's last response was a strong one: We'll still be stationed on the front line supplying the information so the so-called experts can have something to base their opinions on. Was proud to hear that.

Draft saved Draft deleted