1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The daily dose of bad news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jun 17, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You've got to have a profit somewhere against which to write off a loss. It's not just a line on a ledger.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I am far from an expert on this stuff, but my gut feeling is a few of the big-boy chains will go belly up. The papers will be sold -- either to other chains for cheap, or to local owners for cheap -- and they will be retooled basically starting from scratch but with a familiar name.

and when retooled, they will have an astonishingly small newsroom compared to the slashed-and-burned shops of today.

but they will live on, albeit in a vastly different incarnation.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Good gracious.

I read Zell's broadcast division is holding steady or showing modest increases in revenue for the same period year-to-date.

But they should be WAY up from last year-- it's an election year. Local stations rake it in and make up for losses with the increased ad revenue from election years. And there was a Democratic primary contested everywhere.

There will be a staggering dropoff in ad revenue for the broadcast division starting in November.

What a freak show. If he doesn't start shedding assets like yesterday, he'll be belly up by January.

Paging a Mr. Eli Broad, a Mr. Ronald Burkle, and a Mr. David Geffen to the ink-stained courtesy phone.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Unless I missed it elsewhere, today's bad news seems to come from the Register-Guard:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.cms.support.viewStory.cls?cid=114648&sid=1&fid=1

5. What I do know is Mr. Singleton will land softly with his hefty salary and likely golden parachute.

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Does anyone think the consequences of Lean Dean and Zell folding would be good, or should we start organizing bake sales?

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Misery loves company. Come on into the pool, despots! The water's swill.

Draft saved Draft deleted