1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Daily Commercial (Leesburg, Fla.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Mar 12, 2007.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Did anybody on this board not struggle financially with that first job? hell, most of us continue to struggle many years after getting into the business.

2. AJSmartschan

AJSmartschan New Member

It looks like this job is a distinct possibility for me. I'm not basing major life decisions on what I read on a message board (whether that's a good decision or not, I've yet to decide), but feel free to persuade or dissuade as you will.

3. boots

boots New Member

Go at your own risk.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That may be a little harsh. I don't know enough about the current environment and/or owners in Leesburg to pursuade or dissuade, and the financial rewards (or lack thereof) certainly speak for themselves. But some pretty good writers and editors at several Florida papers punched the clock in Leesburg in their younger days. Come prep playoff time you'll rub elbows with writers from Orlando, Tampa, St. Pete and Ocala. If you're doing your job well, those papers will remember you. It has happened before.

5. boots

boots New Member

If you love Ramen noodles, you'll love Leesburg.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Ahh, memories... I worked at this paper for several years... hard for me to comment now because it's been so long since I've been there. I left there in 1999 and there is nobody left at the paper that I even know, which really isn't that surprising. When I was there the cost of living wasn't really all that high.. I had a nice, large one-bedroom apartment in a four-apartment building owned by an older couple and it was only $350 a month... of course, who knows what it's like now. I grew up in the area and it is one of the fastest growing areas in the country (according to a graphic I saw in USA Today last week). Anyways, wish I had more to offer but that's it... if you are fresh out of school looking for a job to get your feet wet, go for it. Several of the folks I worked with at this paper are at high-level positions at very large papers now.

8. boots

boots New Member

Webby is proof that Ramen noodles = success!!!!

9. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

For the record, I have never once eaten Ramen noodles.

10. boots

boots New Member

Damn Webby, you know better than to let facts get in the way of a great story.

11. SoMissGrad

SoMissGrad Member

I held this job from 2005-06, it's a good job to have. The pay is just a bit higher than it was when I was there, but you can live comfortably on your own on the pay since Florida has no state income tax. There are some places like Blueberry Hill II apartments which fit comfortably in the pay range, and are only 5 minutes from work. Adam really taught me to get every single little detail of a story, which has helped me out a lot at my current job even though I cover public education just across the county line from Fulton County/Atlanta instead of sports now at the Clayton News Daily in Jonesboro, Ga. (Kids getting tied up, tasered and picking up mysterious rashes by the boat load, SWEET!).

Leesburg isn't the most happening town (OK, it's dead after 9 p.m. except for McDonalds, Walmart and a couple of biker bars) and the traffic in the area sucks, but it's a good place to start out. I found myself being sent everywhere from Miami, Orlando, Gainesville and the space coast to cover stories.

12. SoMissGrad

SoMissGrad Member

And for the record, while some journalists ate ramen noodles at their first job, I grilled steak (OK it was small steak, and I tended to over cook it) and kabobs on the weekends while I was in Leesburg. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted