1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Daily Commercial (Leesburg, Fla.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Mar 12, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Damn man! The mailman is going to hate you for all those resumes that are bound to flood in after the wage has been increased to a whopping 11.75.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hey, that is about an extra $1500 a year before taxes. Better than the guy saying the wage went in the other direction (though maybe that happens after you get hired).

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I interviewed with this paper not long before I accepted my current position and I can tell you, the newsroom (when I last saw it) is not very modern. Downtown Leesburg is nice, but it's not "youth" oriented.

That said, it is Florida and the surrounding countryside is nice.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That should help you pay for cable AND internet in your box.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

it really is counter-productive to post about things you know nothing about. leesburg isn't the florida you are thinking of. and even if it was, it wouldn't be as bad as you are talking about. leesburg = middle of nowhere. you could find a two bedroom for 700 a month within 15 minutes of "city" center. that said, pay still sucks.

lots of things to knock. cost of living in this area of florida isn't one.

6. zman82

zman82 Member

never been to leesburg, but the living still sounds steep. paying $700 for rent alone means after taxes your 24K salary would amount to one check going to rent and the other going to car/food/gas/expenses. anyway you slice it, it still sounds pretty hard to do.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Thank you!

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We're talking Leesburg, not Fort Lauderdale.

9. boots

boots New Member

Many on these threads are currently living that way. It's called life as a journalist.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You could always get a roommate. May I suggest boots?

11. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Being someone who grew up in the area around Leesburg let me say that if you're into nightclubs and parties, this isn't the town for you. The wages in the town and surrounding area, Tavares, Eustis, Mt. Dora, Lady Lake, etc. are all based for anything but the paper on the available personnel pool...mostly snowbirds who travel back and forth every year and are willing to work for minimum wage. The economy is based on the wrinkles that visit. There is no major industry but there is nice quiet living if that appeals to you.
    Tavares High School has been notoriously bad for several years and Groveland and Clermont have the better of thearea. Leesburg is a nice town if you're raising a family and you like orange groves and retirement communities.
    My best advice for anyone looking for work would be to consider what 23K will get you and where you have to go to find it. Orlando is about 30 miles away, while Daytona is a skip further.
    Tampa is on the other side of the state and the beautiful people are farther south.
    Leesburg can be a nice place to live, especially if you like living in the country, eating catfish in out of the way places and like walking or driving along a nicelake.
    Hope this helps...oh by the way, the paper has a wide reaching scope, since the closest to it with another large circulation is Ocala, another area surrounded by trees...the Ocala National Forest...and beyond that you have a nice interstate highway that leads both directions...

12. Also prepare to curse in the winter at all the bad drivers with Ontario plates...

Draft saved Draft deleted