1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Daily Commercial (Leesburg, Fla.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Mar 12, 2007.

1. The Daily Commercial, a 25,000 daily newspaper in Leesburg, Fla., is looking for a versatile sports writer/copy editor/paginator to complete our staff of three full-timers. High school sports are our focus, with select opportunities for college and professional assignments. We need someone who can handle a variety of tasks from writing gamers, features, advances, columns and enterprise stories to copy editing stories, designing pages and compiling agate and roundups. Experience on Quark or another page design system is a must. Please submit a resume, cover letter, references, no more than five writing samples and no more than five page design samples to: Adam Minichino, Sports Editor, The Daily Commercial, 212 E. Main St., Leesburg, FL 34748.

2. Isn't three full-timers kind of a small staff for a 25,000 daily?
    Anybody know anything about the town or the paper? Seems like Leesburg is pretty small (16,000 population).

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

Leesburg=retirement town (yawn)...close to Orlando though...I live here in Orlando but have never dealt with the paper...nor have I heard much about it.

4. doctor x

doctor x Member

If I remember correctly, coverage area includes 10 public high schools (two in neighboring Sumter County), 2-3 privates plus a community college whose teams seldom contend. Some good prep baseball and basketball from time to time. Sentinel is a huge presence in Lake County. Bureau guy has been there almost 30 years.

5. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I applied for and was offered a job here a couple of years back after nothing more than a phone interview with the incoming sports editor, who is no longer there (or at least not in charge).

Once they offered $18k to start, I told him to forget it. It would not have been my first job, and I would have been moving roughly halfway across the country. :eek: Dude knew this going in ...

Ever since, ads for positions in their sports department have routinely cropped up, all (until this one) stressing their desire for regional applicants only. ::)

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

18K to start for a daily that size? Sheesh .....

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That figure is not surprising for Leesburg. They've had some peculiar owners in recent years, apparently none inclined to spend money.

As the saying goes in Florida, they'll pay you in sunshine.

8. The paper is offering $23,000 for this current position ($11.04 / hour).

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

In Florida? Do you have to provide your own box to live in or does one come with the position?

10. zman82

zman82 Member

23K outside orlando? what a f***ing joke! 23K would be hard to get by on most places these days. is that what our esteemed profession is coming to?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some parts of Florida are not really that expensive. I'm sure you can find a nice mobile home next to a swinging senior for that amount of loot.

12. To update my previous post, the wage has been increased to $11.75 / hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted