1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cycle: Am I alone in this opinion?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Jun 30, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

When the fences were much farther out than they are now.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And they had to walk uphill to the ballpark ... both ways.

And they LIKED it that way.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Well done.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think the cycle is a pretty impressive feat. I'm not completely sure of the numbers between no-hitters and cycles, but they're pretty similar. The cycle shouldn't be celebrated as much as a four-homer game, but not many people can say they hit for the quad, either.

5. I think the cycle is given a little too much credit, just out of habit. In comparison, I don't remember a huge deal made of Delgado hitting four homeruns a few years back. There have been more Oakland A's alone to hit for the cycle than major leaguers who've hit four in a game (15).

Talk about oddities.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Damn right!

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Well the Liberals do like to steal and conservatives do like to hit things out of the park so that seems like a fair statement.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No way that's true, dude. There was a TON of attention paid to Delgado, Cameron, Shawn Green ... Hard-Hittin' Mark Whiten. ;D

The only four-homer game that's ever been overshadowed was Lou Gehrig's. Look it up.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't forget Bob Horner.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

GDI's bat third, though, because that's where you put the team's best hitters. ;D

Fuck both parties.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I think his Mets teammate, Mr. Nancy Lopez, had a rather different attempt at the cycle. He's got the single, triple, HR and hits a ball in the outfield in his last AB. Gets pegged out at second trying to stretch it -- in a close game. Do I remember that correctly?

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In American League history, there have been 109 no-hitters — the last of those happened Tuesday night when Detroit’s Justin Verlander no-hit Milwaukee (and threw a fastball 102 mph in the ninth inning).

There have been 111 cycles in American League history. Just two more.

The above excerpt was taken from a Joe Posnanski column:
    http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/148225.html

Maybe the cycle just isn't as sexy as a no-hitter. I couldn't say why. Maybe it's just because its easier to focus on the pitcher, and because its something that builds every inning.

In most cases, the possibility of a cycle or no-hitter don't start to arise until at least the fifth or sixth. Maybe it's just harder to notice one guy who comes up every 2.5 innings as opposed to a pitcher who is out there for 10 minutes at a time. I dunno. But the cycle definitely deserves its recognition. It's the hitter's no-hitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted