1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The current state of men's college basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

We're less than 11 hours from tipping off the best three weeks in sports -- the NCAA Tournament. So why not take this time to evaluate the sport?

Without a doubt, the NBA decision to ban high schoolers from directly entering the pros has helped the college game. Image this past year without the likes of Greg Oden or Kevin Durant. Yes, they'll be gone next year, but in their place will be O.J. Mayo and Patrick Patterson. They may not be there four years or even two, but at least the college game will showcase the best young talent we have. And that time to shine surely beats rotting on the pine, even if rotting comes with a nice paycheck.

So the talent level has improved, but what about the rest of the game? What works and what doesn't? If you were on the rules committee what recommendations would you make?

I would offer this: Extending the three-point line to 21-feet.

The three-pointer has become college basketball's equivalent to the home run. Just as in baseball, where almost anyone thinks they can swing for the fences, the same is happening in college basketball, it's a shot almost anyone thinks they can make. But they can't.

In baseball, we're now seeing way more strikeouts than we have in the past. In basketball, we're seeing too many strikeouts as well.

Moving the line back still gives those outside shooters a legitimate shot, but it also makes others think twice before they jack up an unwise shot. It would put more emphasis on the interior game, and I think you would see increases in shooting percentages (both inside and out) and, in turn, scoring. Not that more scoring would make for a more exciting product, but better shot selection and more efficient offenses would.

It's probably too late to consider this change for 07-08, but hopefully, someone will recommend this change within the next year. It's one that's long overdue.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Make a shot from beyond halfcourt four points, beyond three-quarters court five points.

3. Has the 19 year old rule helped the college game? I would argue it's too early to tell. On the one hand, it's great to see guys like Oden & Durant playing at the college level.

On the other hand, more widespread recruitment of 1-and-done players may degrade the college game in a few ways. Many teams will now look to build around transitory superstar players, which means more reliance on "pro-style" offenses (a la Durant & Texas) and hurts the development of individual players and team chemistry, which I think is one of the great things about college hoops. Second, the dream of the next Carmelo Anthony may lead coaches to bend even more rules to land the biggest fish for a one-time shot at the title (or at least national prominence). Finally, I think I think Knight had a good point last week: some of the kids who would have made the jump directly to the pros had no interest in getting a college education, so we could see a further race to the bottom as far as hoops academics/eligibility issues.

I also think we ought to move the 3 point line back further. Bring back the mid-range jumper!

Draft saved Draft deleted