1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The curious case of the Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think people who are writers feel more compelled to speak out. And that would include song writers.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah ... shoulda read the article first. The whole "stopped making music" part seems more pertinent, given that even with the blacklisting their next album sold 6 million copies.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not that this is necessarily directed at me, but my thought at the time was this: OK, fine. You have every right to say or believe that. And I have every right not to support your belief by declining to buy your albums or listen to you on the radio.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dennis Rodman, of course, speaks for all people everywhere.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No. The radio stations do. This has been proven over and over again. Great bands get no airplay. Gotye had the No. 1 song last year and you will never hear another single of his on the radio again. This isn't because the fans don't want it.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

More a case of people who are writers convincing themselves that people want to hear what they have to say, and they thus have the opportunity to influence others.

Radio is an utter wasteland. People found Gotye's song just fine. Too many other ways to discover and enjoy music now.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but the issue here was that the right-wing blowhards, many of whom didn't listen to the Dixie Chicks, howled and prevented folks who weren't turned off from hearing them on the radio.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The album was blacklisted on the radio to a great degree. But, see, people bought it anyway.

Again: Aside from sports talk, radio's up to something generally unrelated to ratings, popularity or even, sometimes, profit. It's a weird business.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you don't want any grown-up ideas to creep into your music, stick to boy bands.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Michael Jordan just tweeted "See? I told you so. Stupid, stupid, stupid"

Draft saved Draft deleted