1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The curious case of the Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think both cases cited here -- Dixie Chicks and Sinead O'Connor -- are examples of not so much what you say as how you say it.

If Maines had made the same point without personally ripping Bush and saying they were embarrassed by him, I don't think it would have gotten near the attention.

Likewise, if Sinead hadn't ripped the photo, I don't think the blowback would have been very bad.

Both were absolutely correct but only wound up hurting themselves.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/print-edition/2011/01/14/top-10-best-selling-artists.html

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?4663-And-the-biggest-selling-U-S-album-of-last-20-years-is

Anyway, the Dixie Chicks are a simple case:

They had some fun tunes, had a really good career going. Then they went for the cheapest, easiest cheer in show business at the time - bashing George W. Bush on foreign soil - and became a cause celebre. While acting like they were actually hurt by it, they took full advantage of the "controversy".

"Not ready to make nice"? More like, not ready to stop riding that financial and publicity wave.

[​IMG]

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hmm... Interesting.

How does Dylan's Love and Theft, released in 2001, fit into this theory?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dylan's kind of different because it doesn't sound the same. He's reinvented himself so many times, he's evolved so much, that the works aren't as interchangeable.

Side note: "Love and Theft" was released on Sept. 11, 2001. And I went in a store and bought it that day.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is all true. The Dixie Chicks still got screwed over by conservative radio.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

At what point is it acceptable for fans to express themselves? Or do artists have a monopoly on such things?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Such an interesting idea that after the arrival of rock n' roll, musical artists were held to account for their cultural and political relevance.

Not sure anyone applied the same thinking to Ella Fitzgerald or Bix Biederbecke.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Maines was on Howard Stern just a few weeks ago and did a pretty damn good cover of Pink Floyd's "Mother". She seemed content and glad to be away from the country music world (her solo album will be more alt-rock oriented).

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think in this case the issue was that a lot of the people who complained were not fans, but the radio stations ran scared.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not at all, but I've never understand why anyone would give up listening to music they enjoy because of the artists' political beliefs. It would be one thing if the beliefs were implicit in the music, but that's hardly the case for the Dixie Chicks.

I still listen to Great White Buffalo by Ted Nugent. He's an asshole, but that song rocks!

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

But the rockers, especially, have traded on their fame to the point in which they feel entitled to speak as experts on everything under the sun. Or does it just seem that way?

Not just rockers, though. But the "rock star" industry.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Vice President Springsteen?

Draft saved Draft deleted