1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The curious case of the Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought about them in several years until someone retweeted Maines on Twitter right before the Grammys.

@1NatalieMaines
    The Grammys are banning side boob but welcoming assholes. #chrisbrown

30 million albums is a lot of albums, and they were a big concert draw for a long time. It would surprise me if they were hard up for money, even with that lawsuit about not being properly compensated for the albums.

Sometimes you just run out of stuff to say. I don't feel like the blacklisting would have been forever. They just didn't put out another album and never wanted to tour again. All of them became moms, and at least two of them went through divorces.

It looks like Maines has a solo album coming out in two months. It makes for a better story if they were blacklisted by the conservative empire forever, but I think it has more to do with the fact that they simply stopped making music. And this is coming from a liberal goof who knows every lyric and note in Wide Open Spaces.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She just picked on the wrong pope.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

At the time, I was much more right of center than I am now, and while I stopped short of openly criticizing them, I committed to not listening to their music. I appears that similar mindsets across the country took hold. When you consider the main portion of their audience was located in the vast swaths of red on those color-coded political maps, it's not hard to see why their popularity declined.

5. Dick Whitman

Are you saying that women can't have kids and a career?

Some liberal.

6. Dick Whitman

The fastest way for Natalie Maines to win back her fan base would be to again criticize the sitting United States president.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They didn't stop right away. They made an album in 2006 that was, indeed, ignored by the conservative empire by design. I'm not much of a fan, myself.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Worth remembering that she did that because of Irish priests who had been sexually abusing young boys and JPII was covering it up. Because he was covering it up. As was Benedict and as will the next Pope.

She was so far ahead of the curve on that one, it boggles the mind thinking about it now.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Every artist faces a constant challenge to reinvent themselves to stay relevant or risk fading away. When I was in high school/college in the mid-to-late 90s, I really liked Counting Crows and Hootie and the Blowfish and Barenaked Ladies. All three kept making music after they reached the height of their fame, and fewer and fewer people cared. It's not like they got screwed by conservative radio. I used to think Liz Phair was the coolest lyricist around. The only person still culturally relevant in any of those groups is Rucker, and that's because he totally reinvented himself as a country artist.

I'd say the chances The Chicks still remain a big deal if Maines never says a thing in London are pretty small. Staying power is hard. If they were still touring and writing music and no one was coming to shows and radio still refused to play their stuff then I'd buy the connection still lingers.

Even Nirvana would have likely faded away had Cobain lived.

10. Dick Whitman

If the Rolling Stones released "Bigger Bang" in 1971 and "Sticky Fingers" in 2006, "Bigger Bang" would be considered a classic and people would be lambasting Rolling Stone for naming "Sticky Fingers" one of its top albums of the year.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought Soul Asylum would be relevant for a good while. Spin Doctors had a shot.

12. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

"Taking the Long Way Round" was a great album. That single is a song I consider a personal anthem. The conservative business base killed them and their so-called fans were appalling in the aftermath.

Draft saved Draft deleted