1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The curious case of the Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Mar 11, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Interesting read from Peter Cooper about the rise and fall of the biggest selling band of the past 20 years.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2013/03/10/peter-cooper-on-music-the-curious-case-of-the-dixie-chicks/

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Reading that piece makes me realize that the incident in London was kind of the cultural end of a sort of cold peace that settled over the mid-to-late '90s. I went to college at a small midwestern school that leaned quite conservative (although I didn't really realize it at the time - really, we leaned indifferent.) Their music was ubiquitous. Kind of the country answer to Dave Matthews Band. Laundry folding music for college students of the time. Even more than 9/11 itself, in an odd way, it seems like I can trace the trigger of the break of my college class into liberal and conservative camps to the day Natalie Maines spoke those words. Total Roarscharch test.

One of the strangest falls in the history of American music, and the symbolism of it echoes to today.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Roarscharch?

4. Dick Whitman

Are you questioning the spelling or the premise?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They didn't fall -- they were black balled by radio conglomerates.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Rorschach.

7. Dick Whitman

I'd be really curious to see the demographics of the people who purchased Dixie Chicks albums before London and after. Just from my own experience, it seemed like they went from mainstream Nashville act to sophisticated alt-country liberal darlings overnight. One day, Toby Keith fans were buying up their CDs. The next day, Steve Earle fans were. Same music, and once sentence in London altered the way everyone heard it.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I blame Dennis Franz.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

that was my fave sweathog

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Get where you are going, but I don't think the Dixie Chicks ever whined about it.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A case could be made that the Dixie Chicks were on the leading edge of the bluegrass/folk revival currently led by the Avetts and Mumfords.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

RoarShark

Draft saved Draft deleted