1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Curious Case of Sidd Finch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 1, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was with you.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Wow. I guess there were some 12-year-old GMs of big league teams back then. It was ridiculously obvious that the story was a joke. I haven't read the story in a long time, but my recollection is a lot of it was pretty over the top, and Plimpton didn't even really try very hard to play it straight.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As a kid, I just remember feeling disappointed that the Mets weren't going to have Finch be their No.2 starter.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think it was a case of: you don't really believe it, but you want to believe it.
    Kinda like Aaron Kushner at the O.C. Register. And that was no joke.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The reason SI's jape worked is because, at the time, the readership a) trusted SI implicitly and b) still had a sense of humor. Unfortunately, many publications thought they could pull off the same gag year after year, only to find the joke was on them.

6. Fuck Sidd Finch and SI.
    Read that SI story and made him my No. 1 pick in the fantasy draft that year.

MTM, jpetrie18 and Vombatus like this.
  7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't think it could be pulled off in this day and age.

I remember Plimpton made the interview rounds and just sold it. SportsCenter showed a clip of him being interviewed about the story in 1985 and he played it brilliantly.

Draft saved Draft deleted