1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Curious Case of Sidd Finch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just because. In my mind, the best April Fool's Day story ever.

The Curious Case Of Sidd Finch - MLB - SI.com

I remember when it came out trying to convince my brother-in-law it wasn't real. Circle the first letter of the first 18 words.

Great stuff. Carry on

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Vombatus likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I believed it. It was SI, how could it not be true? My dad called bullshit. Later on, we heard about the first letters.

Score one for dad.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Tqitotsftswjtdscch." *

* -- Of course, you meant the first letter of the first 18 words. Just having some fun with ya.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It was a test to see who was really paying attention. You passed.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

And this is true even though I didn't notice the first-letter thing.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Whats the first letter thing? Because I'm not picking up on it at all.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Love the appearance in the SI story of Roscoe Tanner, who once stole a girlfriend from me. #Humbleheartbreakbrag

9. Steak Snabler

The subhead spells out "H-A-P-P-Y A-P-R-I-L F-O-O-L-S D-A-Y — A-H F-I-B."

He's a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd's deciding about yoga—and his future in baseball.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How have you read this thread and not picked up on it?

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That makes way more sense. I was reading the text and was totally confused.

12. Steak Snabler

It's been a while since I've read it, but I seem to remember in "The Franchise," Michael MacCambridge's (excellent, by the way) history of SI, that not only did a lot of Mets fans fall for it, but some opposing teams and a couple of newspapers actually did, too.

EDIT: Found this in a 2005 NYT story:

"When Sports Illustrated hit the newsstands several days before the April 1 cover date, "The Curious Case of Sidd Finch" staggered baseball and beyond. Two major league general managers called the new commissioner, Peter Ueberroth, to ask how Finch's opponents could even stand at the plate safely against a fastball like that. The sports editor of one New York newspaper berated the Mets' public relations man, Jay Horwitz, for giving Sports Illustrated the scoop. The St. Petersburg Times sent a reporter to find Finch, and a radio talk-show host proclaimed he had actually spotted the phenom - who, truth be told, was back in Oak Park teaching art at Hawthorne Junior High."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/01/sports/baseball/01finch.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Draft saved Draft deleted