1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button rocked my socks off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Jan 5, 2009.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Two thumbs up at my house.
    I'm just surprised we've gotten through almost a whole page without anybody bringing up how smokin' Cate Blanchett is throughout the film, even as her character ages.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finally saw it. Enjoyed it, but felt the story was pretty weak. Not much that happened in the movie had any consequences at all. That's a problem. The character of Button never gets out of second gear. He's never really happy, never really sad, never really angry. Strange.
    SPOILER!!!!
    (He even blows off his aging mother while frolicking in the Carribean with Blanchett and doesn't shed a tear when he comes back and finds out the woman who took him in off her doorstep and nurtured him has passed.)
    When I learned that the guy who wrote Forrest Gump also wrote this movie I wasn't surprised. Like Gump, the supporting characters are the most interesting, the tugboat captain, Button's father, his adoptive mother, even the daughter reading the journal.
    After more than two and a half hours, you'd think the movie would have something to say.
    Now, this is a "great" movie, it should win Oscars for art direction, cinematograpy and score, in fact the rich look and feel of the movie only bring more attention to the sad truth that there isn't much emotion or impact in the story.
    If people liked Atonement, they'll probably like Button. If they didn't like Atonement, well, you know...

Draft saved Draft deleted