1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button rocked my socks off

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I thought it was Forrest Gump with a twist, as well.

It was an interesting storyline, but the movie didn't blow me away. And it was a little too long. There was a lot of fat they could've cut off.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I have a friend who sees EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. 'Love Guru'? Saw it. '10,000 B.C.'? Saw it. 'Drillbit Taylor'? Saw it. He sits on some festival boards or some such, may even be a member of the Academy...

Anyway, 'Button' isn't in his top 10 and doesn't even crack his 'best of the rest.'

His film of the year was Slumdog.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A movie made you cry and it only gets a "meh"?

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Has anyone who saw Benjamin Button read the F. Scott Fitzgerald story it's adapted from? Just wondering if it's faithful to the source material.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Saw the movie and enjoyed it, have not read the short story. It's my understanding that the movie basically uses the story as a jumping-off point, i.e. Fitzgerald didn't really take it all that far as far as Benjamin's entire life goes. Anyone who has read it, please feel free to jump in and correct me.

For what it's worth, I thought the movie was a good deal less treacly than Forrest Gump, and while it was long, I didn't check my watch once, which was rare. There were definitely some things they could have cut out, but it didn't feel long to me.

It was also fun to see Meredith's kid from "The Office" play one of the young Benjamins.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Honey, I cry at Hallmark commercials. I called a guy on here once bawling while watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, but then it couldn't be. It's too short. It's more of a jumping off point.

The short story is better, however.

8. Mizzougrad96

Sorry, I forgot what an emotional wreck you are. ;D

KIDDING!!!!

9. imjustagirl

Oh, no, it's the truth. I used to make fun of my mom for crying...and now I lose it at the least prodding. I'm such a girl.

10. Mizzougrad96

I saw Titanic on a double date when it came out. At the end of the movie my date and my friend's date were sobbing so uncontrollably that my friend said,

"Can we leave now or are the two of you just going to cry until you need an IV?"

11. imjustagirl

Oh, Titanic didn't make me cry except for the hours I had wasted. And I didn't even watch the whole thing.

12. My problem with Revolutionary Road, which I haven't seen, is that Sam Mendes bored me silly with his stylized "suburban angst" film-school workout in "American Beauty" and the notion of sitting through another exercise in how crappy it was in the Days Of Formica is another to set my hair to itching.

Draft saved Draft deleted