1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The creepiness that is Spokeo.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Awesome! I apparently live in an unheated home that's worth more than $1M. And my mom doesn't exist.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's got an address that's three houses ago for me. And when I click on my dad's entry, I don't exist! CREEPY.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

One relative is on there at his parents' address - a house he moved out of more than 20 years ago. I also just found out that one of my good friends, who I always thought was a woman, is actually a guy!

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hey, there are worse ways to find that out.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sweet, I don't exist.

Does this mean I don't have to pay my taxes?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is awesome.

It lists me living in Bristol, which I never have. I'm apparently a late-30s African-American who is an Aries (none of those are true).

I will give them credit on this: It says I enjoy shopping and toys (HEY-O) and am not interested in politics.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'm not on there, and neither is my wife, but my mother is. Quite a surprise to find out she has no children. This could make the next family reunion uncomfortable.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I don't exist on this site. Guess I should be relieved.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It says I research my investments. Me, who owns no stocks or land.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is this spoke.com or is spokeo.com something else?

OK, to answer my own question -- I just looked -- spokeo.com is something different.

I don't see myself, but there's no way they could accurately collect this data by just trying to aggregate the info that's out there without having an actual person cross reference and/or check it -- at least not for free.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought the income and home value were the medians for whatever city you live in. Did I read that wrong?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, they got my address, phone number and marital status correct, but that's about it. All of the financial information is wrong, as are the hobbies, so they are pretty much talking out of their asses with the exception of stuff you can find in the local phone book.

Draft saved Draft deleted