1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "crawl" stands alone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, May 1, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

One dubious journalistic tradition used to be, when a media outlet puffed up to claim credit for a scoop, it folded the boast into some other sentence of the story that was there on merit. Especially when we're talking about a sheer timing situation, such as learning about a player's suspension or a coach's termination hours or maybe minutes before it is in the public domain (as opposed to, say, Clemens' country-music dalliance courtesy of NYDN).

Now we get the print version of the notorious, "ESPN.com's Joe Blow is reporting..." as a stand-alone, one-sentence paragraph in the body of the story.

As in:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306

... where everybody's got to move on."

ESPN.com's Marc Stein first reported the news of Johnson's ouster.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson ...

This is on a page that was updated at 1:08 AM ET. The firing already had been out there for hours and these guys are still hanging onto credit like a pit bull clamped on your daughter's cheek. Me, me, me, me. I reported this first. Yeah, me!

Don't they know they already have won? That whole damn network is your brother-in-law wearing gold chains and pinky rings, reminding you of what a killing he made last year selling Amway stuff.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

That is nowhere near as blatant as this from the NYDN:

Thursday, May 1st 2008, 8:12 AM

Rangers tough guy Sean Avery's tumultuous season is over, ended by a lacerated spleen in a devastating playoff loss.

Avery was recovering in St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan after the injury - first reported Wednesday on the Daily News Web site, nydailynews.com - in a collision in Tuesday night's loss to Pittsburgh.

Actually, what the News reported was that he was rushed to the hospital at 3 a.m. in cardiac arrest. So, they got it first that he was hospitalized but were 100% wrong on every other detail....so let's make sure we tell everybody we had it first, who cares if we were wrong.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

With all the websites/blogs in existence, somebody needs to start a SuperScooperSite that keeps a running scoreboard on who's first with all the breaking news. (Blue font considered before posting.)

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

They could have a secondary site tracking the accuracy of prediction columns and maybe a tote board comparing different writers' mock drafts, after the fact.

Of course, ESPN.com's Heywood Jablowme had these ideas first.

Draft saved Draft deleted