1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The countdown to a Jim Leyland resignation-in-a-huff is in full swing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090617/OPINION03/906170417/Tigers-should-make-quick-decision-on-Leyland-s-future

Henning spends most of his time emptying Leyland's ashtrays, so it's pretty likely this comes straight from the mouth of the Marlboro Man himself, attempting to put the heat on Dombrowski and Ilitch.

The last several weeks, Leyland has adopted the Larry Brown strategy of using the starting lineup and playing rotation to throw a temper tantrum about the roster given to him by the front office.

And it's to be noted Leyland has stomped off in a huff from all his previous MLB managing jobs, too.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If Leyland goes I hope he takes Willis with him.

3. Starman

I think Willis has thrown his last MLB pitch for a while. I would guess he will either be offered a chance to pitch in Toledo, if he wants to, otherwise bought out.

The money is a sunk cost, they might as well just send him to the Hens and see if a miracle happens. If it does, woo hoo; if not, what the hell. It's not like the Toledo staff is burgeoning with all sorts of hot prospects who need to get the innings more than Willis.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

WHATCHA TALKIN' 'BOUT?

5. Starman

http://www.freep.com/article/20090618/SPORTS02/90618073/1048/sports/Tigers+bench+Magglio+Ordonez++put+Dontrelle+Willis+on+DL+with+anxiety+disorder

Couple of major updates:

1. Willis to the DL with a recurrence of his anxiety disorder. Possibly a prelude to trying to collect insurance on part of his contract.

2. Magglio Ordonez benched, ostensibly for hitting .273, but mainly to prevent him from reaching plate-appearance incentives which would trigger a massive $18 million guarantee for 2010.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Leyland seems to have forgoten that sports is a diversion. He squeezes any bit of fun out of teams he manages, even if they win (in spite of him). I'd have a hard time following a team with such a crank as a leader. And put down the cancer sticks.

7. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

They're in first place!
    I'm sure they'll fold and the Twins will win the division again and bow out in the first round.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, he stuck around Pittsburgh for four losing seasons after Bonds left, then "stomped off in a huff" when ownership decided to strip an already shitty team down to a $10 million payroll. They haven't had a winning season since '92, and I think they've been through four other managers.

Then he stuck around Florida for a 108-loss season after they traded everyone from the World Series team away before he "stomped off in a huff."

Spent one season in Colorado, admitted going there was a huge mistake because his heart wasn't in it, and "stomped off in a huff" and left money on the table.

Then he took six years off before he went to Detroit.

Yes, he's an impulsive "stomp off in a huff" fucker.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Does Willis truly have an anxiety disorder, or is that not a cover-up for something else?

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's the medical excuse way of saying he can't throw strikes anymore because of something in his head, so we'll shove him aside for someone who we hope can throw strikes.

11. Will Dumbrowski turn in his 06 Executive of the Year award anytime soon?

Ken Williams > Dave Dumbrowski, Jermaine Dye out front should have told you so, even with that fleecing for Miguel Cabrera.

Dombrowski had a nice run, but all those "fuck the future" deals he made are really coming to roose, eh?

There is no reason in comprehension for Nate Robertson to even be on the roster, especially at the ghastly amount he's making, nevertheless Willis, and the fact the Tigers haven't dealt Zumaya at the peak of his value means this team is screwed for years on out.

I'll be shocked if the Tigers are within three games of first by September. This team is a spontaneous combustion waiting to happen.

12. Starman

Career W-L percentage, .494. Yet his slurp brigade in the Detroit media still maintains he's a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted