1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The countdown has begun on Andy Reid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

I know what you're saying but on the other hand there are few franchises anymore that won't run their coaches out of town after one bad season. New England, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Philadelphia. Maybe a couple of more but it's such a win now atmosphere now that most franchises shoot themselves in the foot by hiring one new coach after the other.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You play in the Super Bowl like he did with a broken leg and have the success that he did and players respect the hell out of that.

3. Mizzougrad96

Absolutely all true... I still don't see him in Philly. I'd love to see him in San Fran, but that's just the Niners fanboy in me talking...

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

TO was out for himself in that game, as ever.

And his teammates know that.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Doesn't Andy Reid share some responsibility for the team, or at least the most important player on the team, not knowing the overtime rules?

And further, I have even less confidence in the Eagles two-minute drill when it is run like it was a few weeks ago against the Giants -- and the ball was handed to Westbrook two times even though the Eagles have not been able to pick up short yardage running the ball in the Andy Reid era because, well, he doesn't believe that a short-running game and power football packages are necessary.

One other thing -- Smallwood is only half right -- Reid's offensive philosophies are antiquated, but not because he is a pass-first coach. It is because he is one of these West Coast disciples who thinks that an unlimited dosage of 3-yard passes and bubble screens is an adequate replacement for a running game.

Thankfully, these "west coast gurus" are a dime a dozen and no longer at the top of the wish list of GM's and owners, who'd now rather see good running game and the ball travel more than five yards when it is thrown, you know, the way football is meant to be played.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Isn't Donovan McNabb a team captain?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think a lot of QBs around the league are. I think it comes as part of the position a little. You sure don't see many RBs with a C on their jersey.

In fact, Looking through a 2007 list when it was announced, 18 captains were QBs. Five were RBs, including Moran Norris of San Francisco, which had 11 captains named at the beginning of the season.

8. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

At this point, Donovan McNabb as a HoF QB is about as likely as Jennifer Love Hewitt coming to my door with a six pack of Bud wearing nothing but pumps and an Eagles jersey.

This is coming from a longtime Eagles fan. I have to agree with a previous poster who said McNabb doesn't want it bad enough. The talent has always been unquestioned, but there is something about him that separates him from his more successful contemporaries like Brady and Manning. This guy's not a killer when the need for a ruthless, win-at-all-costs iceman under center.

There's no reason why the Eagles shouldn't be at least 7-3, and one could make a valid point that they should be undefeated. Reid definitely deserves some blame, but if they don't make the playoffs, the onus is going to fall on McNabb, and rightfully so.

9. Mizzougrad96

Isn't there some kind of rule that the starting QB has to be one? ;D

10. Simon_Cowbell

My point re: him being a captain is that the referee loudly gives the rules of overtime, including the spiel about a tie at midfield, in front of the captains.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Umm, would you be ready to talk if they miss the playoffs this season (pretty much guaranteed now) for the third time in four years?

12. Simon_Cowbell

No.

Losing records.

Draft saved Draft deleted