1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The countdown has begun on Andy Reid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's official. They're calling for Andy Reid's head.
    http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/top_sports/20081118_John_Smallwood__Time_to_go__Andy_Reid_s_system_has_run_its_course_with_Eagles.html

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

Then again, his stud quarterback didn't even realize you could have ties in the NFL. This after facing a team that had the last tie during the regular season.

I would think his sons getting into that drug mess would be a much stronger case for dumping Reid. Though I will say that I have NEVER been a fan of pass-happy offenses. Not even when the Greatest Show on Turf used them.

It's hilarious to think of pass first, pass second and pass third offenses such as Reid's are now considered antiquated and smash mouth football is the rage. When Joe Gibbs started his second tenure with the Redskins, he was the one derided for being old fashioned. </Redskinsfanboilooser>

3. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

You know, John Smallwood is a decent columnist. He wins some awards here and there, but since he has never won the Pulitzer, let's fire his ass.

The column is just small-mindedness. Reid built the damn program. And while I wish they would spend more money and I don't agree with some of his decisions, he's been right more than he's been wrong.

I don't know who Smallwood thinks they would get to replace him. There's not a lot of great coaches out there but there are a lot of bad ones. Cowher coached at Pittsburgh for how many years before he finally won the Super Bowl? Reid deserves the same kind of loyalty.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If Andy Reid puts together a couple losing seasons in a row, let's talk then.

5. Simon_Cowbell

To me, it would be like the Titans letting go of Fisher a couple years ago.

Obviously, Reid has more baggage, but he knows how to run a program.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd like to give Reid a few seasons with a quarterback who isn't a complete fucking idiot and then see how he does.

I like the Fisher comparison.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

McNabb's not an idiot. He just doesn't want it bad enough. Just once I'd like to see him hustling between plays on a 2-minute drill. He's always strolling or smiling and then frowning when he's picked off at the end. I've always been a defender of his but when they're down with only a couple of minutes left, I have no confidence in McNabb leading them down the field for a touchdown.

And if the Eagles did fire Reid, who would they replace him with? Cowher? I'm not convinced Cowher's any better than Reid.

In all likelihood, the Eagles would get a worse coach than the team that hired Reid.

8. Mizzougrad96

McNabb is an idiot. That was proven on Sunday. I agree about him not wanting it badly enough. It will be interesting to see how he's remembered when he's gone. He has the stats to make it to Canton, but he won't ever get there.

9. Mizzougrad96

Cowher isn't stupid enough to go to Philly.

10. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

T.O.'s an idiot. Travis Henry's an idiot. Pacman Jones is an idiot.

McNabb is not an idiot. Nowhere near it.

11. Mizzougrad96

T.O. is an idiot, but he's a first-ballot Hall of Famer, who has more respect from his teammates than McNabb will ever have.

The other two are different kinds of idiots. But if you're a starting QB in the NFL and you don't know how overtime works, you are an idiot.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Vehemently dispute you there on the teammate-respect comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted