1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cost of new unis?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Major colleges aren't paying anywhere near full price for uniforms. Nike, UA, Reebok, etc. use the schools as billboards for their stuff and all but give the schools the product. I don't think Oregon pays Nike a dime for their unis. Of course they can't turn down the clown suits Nike gives them either.

Plus those deals wind up outfitting non-rev sports and - at some schools - the spirit squads too.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most baseball teams, at least at larger schools, have three or four different tops (home whites, road grays, a pinstriped white and a colored jersey). They'll usually wear different ones for each game of a weekend series, too. Florida State is like the Oregon of college baseball, with the number of combinations they can assemble.
    I'd assume softball is the same.
    Basketball teams often have at least one alternate color uniform.
    Not sure how many different style uniforms sports like track and swimming need.
    Alternate unis are hardly something unique to football.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thank you.

I had not thought of that.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Fair comment.

I am sorry for my tone.

But what are you trying to get at? Do you think someone of feathering a nest somewhere?

I also think you got a couple pretty good answers on both topics.

5. Perhaps it might be interesting to find out LSU's throwback unis cost the athletic department $25,000. Or that Nike donates the unis, which I highly doubt ... BTW Phil KNight is a HUGE Oregon supporter and alum so the Ducks are special.
    Perhaps readers - and myself- would like to know the cost of the unis and who is paying for them.
    Some might feel the money to buy a special uniform or helmet for one or two games might be better spent elsewhere.
    Either way I'd like to know.

And none of the answers are definitive. A lot of speculation.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Oh, OK. Basic story idea.

Got it.

I think the flyover (training) is a valid one.

I guess I wouldn't think what uniforms cost a school or who pays for them to be that interesting. To me, that's like anything else the athletic department spends. (But that may be me)

The multiple Oregon uniforms sure. Has anyone done that?

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

$25K to a big-time athletic department budget like at Ohio State, LSU, Florida, etc. is NOTHING. Tip money.

And I think y'all are underestimating Nike in all this. They are hella-promoting the Pro Combat line, and the best way to do it is to outfit a couple teams' worth of walking billboards.

rb

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Some info, at least on the Mizzou ones:

* Nike completely furnished them, and they're worth about $100k to each of the 10 schools participating.
    * The players get to keep almost everything.
    * Replicas and certain autographed items are auctioned off (and at good money: http://mutigers.cstvauctions.com/gallery.cfm).

Draft saved Draft deleted