1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cost of new unis?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What was the reasoning behind so many teams going retro this past weekend. Was it a push by Riddell?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was the last two weekends, actually, and it was a Nike deal.
    I always have wondered if major colleges pay for their gear or get it in trade to wear as walking billboards.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I got the joke. Good one.

4. Boom_70

What about the helmets? Most teams were the Riddell Nike revolution. Nike does not make helmets.

5. Boom_70

Then let me in on it JD . Not sure what you mean.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Missouri's helmets were the worst I've ever seen. You couldn't tell they had a logo on them unless they showed an extreme closeup.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Well, Riddell is more old-school than Nike when it comes to football. I thought that was the point you were making.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

A future investigative reporter in the making?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Same place money for women's basketball uniforms comes from- the individual sport's budget.

Of course most women's basketball teams wouldn't have a budget if it wasn't for the money their school's football program brings in.

10. But how many other teams have more than a home and away uni or change uniforms as often as they change socks?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't how much of an investigation it would be. Depends if it's a private or public university. And how much of a success the football program is. A team like Ohio State makes plenty of dough, but how does one of the Sun Belt schools make from a uniform deal.

Would be of interest to some.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Many times the flyovers are by Guard or Reserve units doing their weekend training. Even active duty units have to fly so much for training purposes etc., so they are involved as well. Don't think of it so much as tax payers footing the bill. They've got to fly anyway, so instead of doing it over the ocean or woods, they put in their time where people can enjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted