1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cost of new unis?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Does anyone know how much the throwback unis or different color schemes - like the gold LSU helmets or THE Ohio State throwback unis - cost?
    And who pays for it? Alumni? Boosters? Athletic Department?
    What about the new high tech pads Ohio State was wearing for their game with Iowa? Any idea how much that stuff costs and who paid for it?
    I don't imagine it is cheap.
    I would be pissed off if the school is paying for each new helmet, and uniform based on a coach or players' whim.

And one more thing.... kind of off topic ...
    Who pays for the military flyovers at sporting events, such as NASCAR .. and what does that cost?

Thanks

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or, Nike could absorb the cost to offset the sheep who will buy them once available to the general public... the cost of doing business, as they say

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if Nike didn't pay for every dime of the "alternate" uniform designs. They'll more than make that back in sales.

A new basketball uniform set usually runs $60-75 per set for a high-quality tackle-twill design (sewn-on numbers, et al). I would assume a football uniform set, plus pads, plus helmets, is probably $500-1000 per player.

The shoe/uniform companies often pay for the uniforms at the college/pro level, in exchange for marketing rights (they can spend $50-100K outfitting all a college's sports teams in a year, but they'll make much more than that selling licensed apparel).

Not sure who is paying for the military flyovers, but those tickets aren't cheap for a reason :). I think the taxpayers of the U.S. might pay for flyovers at big events because they provide good, free advertising for the military. The flyover at the Indianapolis 500 gets 250,000+ live viewers plus 3-4 million on TV, and that's a lower-rated major sporting event. The cost of a flyover is not significantly more than the cost of three or four 30-second spots on a broadcast.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Nike did indeed foot the bill for the "Pro Combat" series. And I know MU is auctioning off some helmets, jerseys and gloves.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Those helmets looked like they were sprayed with primer and the glossy coat was accidentally left off.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Why would any of this matter?

Schools have budgets and donors (and the uniforms are either re-sold or given to the kids).

The flyovers are advertisements for the military.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That should raise about $20. Those were without a doubt the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen, even worse than anything Oregon has donned, and that's saying a lot.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The cost of Uni's are nothing compared to the 20 mil check ND will be writing fat Charlie.

9. If I need to explain it ... you need to stick to gamers.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I do believe I recall reading Georgia spent $13,000 on the black helmets it wore this season.

If that's true, at 105 guys, that's about $125 a helmet.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They got a pretty good group discount then. Football helmets run about $200 a pop at a minimum.

I've always been told it costs about $200 to outfit one kid in a game jersey, pants & socks. Not sure of the cost of pads, helmet, shoes, etc. but I could see how you could get up to $800-$900 per kid real quick.

12. That's a lot of money. I'd like to know where it comes from.

Draft saved Draft deleted