1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The coroner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Sep 21, 2012.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

"This was no accident, Sam ... this was murder. So don't answer any questions from reporters."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Make no mistake: coroners are not doctors. Just another small-time politician elected by the public, and experience in the medical field is not required. Just another bureaucrat. (Yeah, I hated dealing with coroners, if you can't tell.)

But, yeah, if it's a fight worth picking, there's always a "is this public official doing his job?" story in a lengthy delay, especially if you're told the report is done. FOI everything you can. Doesn't mean you'll need to use everything you get, but do it anyway.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

She's obviously jerking you around. Why is she doing that?

4. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Sorry. How's this?

[​IMG]

The coroner? I hate that guy!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

So what happened in the end?

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

A couple of best practice suggestions, Bucknutty:

1) If autopsies are considered public records under your state law (usually they are, but in some states they're specifically exempted) then you should always put in a formal written request for a copy of the autopsy you're interested in shortly after the death. If you haven't in this case, you should go ahead and do that. By making the formal written request under some states laws you automatically trigger some time limitations on the coroner, you preserve your rights to go to court if you eventually need to by creating a record of your request.

2) Writing a story about the coroner (or any government agency) failing to respond to your requests will often come across as petty, so you need to be careful about how you do it. At some point it becomes appropriate to do and will put pressure on the coroner. That's another reason you want to create a written record of your request - so that if/when you do write about it, you're on better footing. Typically, it's a good idea to give the agency a reasonable amount of time to respond. In the scenario you've described above, she'd given you an expected release time and then wasn't immediately available around that time or the day after. I'd typically hold off for a few days to try to find out why she's not responding, while still being politely persistent, before writing something about her failure to respond.

And yes, I've had plenty of experience with non-responsive government agencies, including coroners/medical examiners, in releasing what should be public information.

7. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Sorry...meant to update you all sooner.

After I left the coroner's office, I went back to my office and got a phone call as I was pulling in from the coroner. On the call, I was told that they will provide me with a copy of the report as soon as it is finalized, but it is not finalized yet. I was told they are pulling all kinds of medical journals and articles to determine why this person died, and they can't do that when they're on the phone with me.

I said I understand that, I know they're just doing their job but that I'm also just trying to do mine. I was assured I'd be called after the family, and left it at that.

Two or three hours later, sure enough, my phone rang and I had the story before everyone else. So in the end, we had a happy ending, or at least as happy an ending you can get when dealing with the sudden death of a young athlete.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's good to hear. I recall dealing with the sudden death of an athlete during a wrestling match in my younger days. Very difficult situation to be in. Glad things worked out well for you.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I feel like it's tempting fate to be that eager to get an appointment with the coroner.

Draft saved Draft deleted