1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Continued Pussification of American Youth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Zeek, Jun 27, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I cannot believe it is my generation responsible for this stuff.
    I'm in my mid/late 30s and I'm going on the assumption that it's my generation with kids in elementary/middle school.

First we have to replace backpacks with little suitcases because teachers give too much homework.

Then in some elementary schools you have a situation where every child in a class of 20 (or 30) has to receive an award at the end of the school year because if the child doesn't receive an award his/her feelings will be hurt - upsetting the parents.

Now they're eliminating games like dodgeball, kickball and touch football? What's this world coming to? I'll admit that back in elementary/middle school I was one of the ones that was picked on by the bullies. And I wholeheartedly support these games being played now. These games are a part of growing up.

Who knows what's next..... I apologize for my generation being the generation of wimpy parents... what happened to my generation between childhood and adulthood?

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

When I got hurt when I was younger, my father called me an idiot and to get better. I never stopped playing, and my parents never even thought of suing. What others have said is true. it's parents wanting to shield their children from everything and make them all fucking momma's boys that can't do shit by themselves. No wonder we don't get a lot of respect around the world. parents are raising these spoiled little pioeces of shit who think they can do whatever they want, and if they don't get what they want, they cry to fucking mommy and she fixes it. fucking babies. get your ass kicked, break a bone and move on. fuck.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

We used to play "Kill the Man with the Ball" at recess sometimes. Great, great game with a great name.

And as for not keeping score - my daughter's coach-pitch league (8-year olds) is 2-3-1. They got spanked one night 16-0. My daughter came running off the field with a smile and said, "Daddy, we didn't score ONE point!" I just shook my head and thought, "Wow, her team got thumped and she doesn't care. That's fucking awesome." Last night, she struck out three times, the first times all year she's struck out. They won, and she was so happy that they won. I asked her about striking out since she hadn't done it all year, and she gave me a puzzled look. The reporter/sporto/coach inside of me wanted to hear her explanation and give her some pointers, but when she gave me that look, I said, "Nevermind. You guys really played well." To which she replied, "I know. And we WON! Oh, Daddy, did you remember the snacks?"

When youth sports are done right, they can be so much fun to be a part of.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

well you have pyscho parents that track the batting average of their six-year old and scream like it's Game 7 of the world series. parents ruin youth sports, and because of their actions, awhich lead to stupid shit like banning physical activity, is why kids are fat and lazy and don't give a shit these days.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm 36 and my parents did not raise me or my siblings to be wimps. They grew up in rough neighbourhoods and so did we. We learned how to fight and how to stick up for ourselves and each other. We played hard and, if we got hurt, we sucked it up and kept going.

That's not to say we weren't allowed to be emotional. We could cry, yell, whatever, but we learned how to deal with our own problems without having to blame everything on everybody else.

And I'm teaching my boys the very same way. They're tough (yet sensitive) kids.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why, did you enjoy getting smeared?

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Throwing dodgeballs at people as hard as you can is a vital part of youth. It shouldn't be denied.

8. dooley_womack1

Just have to remember to dodge, duck, dive, dip and dodge.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

One of my favorite memories was turning just in time to see a red sphere heading straight for my face, catching it in pure self-defense, and without missing a beat, turning and nailing some unsuspecting person squarely between the shoulder blades with a high-velocity throw.

10. dooley_womack1

He agrees and adds that he loves the smell of queef in the morning:

[​IMG]

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good ol' Patches O'Houlihan. Has Rip Torn ever not been funny?

12. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

1) Kid gets bumped and falls.

2) Kid has a bruised arm.

3) Idiot mother calls the school and demands an answer. Not satisfied with "typical recess incident," she makes another phone call.

4) Her injury accident attorney threatens bloodshed in the school administrative offices.

5) School kisses the attorney's ass and bans all contact recess activities.

Comment heard from an elementary principal: "Kids don't know how to play anymore."

Draft saved Draft deleted