1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Consulate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed.

But with the stipulation that we don't know who the perpetrators were.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Can we not get this one locked?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read that, along with similar sentiments expressed by people other than Marshall. (I think he's right here, but, like Krauthammer or Lowry, I always have to cross-check his assertions.)

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/12/romney-camp-tries-to-manage-fallout-from-libya-response/

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So based on that timeline Obama denounced Romney last night and the evil doers this morning.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From dre's link:
    I'm not sure why this is supposed to be some great exoneration of the State Department's actions.

This statement was put out in response to something, right? The movie had been "out" for months (and shown in a theater exactly once).

It was put out because they knew a rally/riot was planned.

So, in response to a planned riot, they expressed sympathy with the sentiments of the rioters, instead of warning them that any breach of our sovereign soil would be met with deadly force.

Such cowardice a limp response could only have served to embolden those would choose to attack our embassy in Cairo, and our Ambassador in Libya.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

His response to what? An unprovoked attack? How does one respond to an unprovoked attack?

Oh right. It was the apology's fault. I'm sure that emboldened it all.

I'm sure these thugs were sitting around in Benghazi wondering, "Damn, I don't know if we should storm the American consulate today. Might be risky ... wait, word has come down that the Americans apologized for the film? That tears it. Let's get them!"

It's stretches the bounds of logic to, on one hand, blame of a bunch thugs for their ignorant actions and rake them over the coals for a bastardized interpretation of their own religion, but in some magical osmosis that I'll never understand, give the administration as much or greater blame for it too.

All for political gain. All before the bodies are even cold.

So yes, I do question the patriotism of those who spout those views. Show some respect for those who unwittingly died for their country and channel your anger in the right direction (i.e. the thugs who did it and the apparent ridiculously lax Libyan security on the ground) before you go for your political red meat. It's damn disgraceful.

And in saying that, I really don't care if that gives you jollies for some imaginary scoreboard you're chalking up against folks on the left.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Who me?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bubbler -- that is tremendous.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For a dead-deer-fucking Brewers fan, you're ok.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bubbler you are mixing up the two on going stories and timelines.
    Better do some reading.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think even if you can justifiably criticize the administration's response early in the day, before the attacks had taken place, Romney self-immolated in completely botching the timeline. Amateur hour. That's what, I think, most undecideds will take from it. That's just a big honking mistake to make, considering the gravity of the circumstances, and the date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.