1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Consulate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Re: The Embassy Thread

Jesus.

Who's letting the attackers off the hook? Or shifting blame?

This is the first American ambassador killed on foreign soil in decades. It's possible to wonder how and why that happened without in any way apologizing for the fact that it happened at all.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Word is now coming down that it could have been one of our own drones in a case of mistaken identity. An "unfortunate mistake".

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You do know that sometimes -- like every 20 or 30 years or so -- you post something and I am reminded that I have a mancrush on you?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

People have been attacking American embassies for centuries. What distinguishes the attack yesterday was the death of an American ambassador.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd have to find the article, but it used "retreat" to describe the actions his security took after they came under fire, while they were trying to get to a safer location.

And, while I highly doubt US Marines, Special Forces, or contractors were were previously either of those would retreat, I wouldn't be so sure if we're talking about local security.

And, yeah, I imagine we'll learn soon enough. Early reporting is often wrong and/or incomplete.

6. Boom_70

Maybe the killing of the Ambassador was was "justice done" by the Khadafi loyalists.
    It cuts both ways.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Boom_70

9. YankeeFan

If it was "planned in advance" then that would rule out Rev. Jones actions provoking the riots.

And, since this riot likely did take a while to plan, it is likely that the anniversary of 9/11 was the inspiration.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The riots may still have been real. That remains to be seen.

11. YankeeFan

I hope this isn't true:

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I heard an interview on the CBC this morning with some sort of expert that who claimed that while Benghazi was the birth place of the rebellion against Ghadaffi, the new governemnt was made up of people mainly from Tripoli.

Apparently this had led to tensions inside Libya where the founders of the uprising were disenfranchised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.