1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THE CONCERT FOR SANDY: 12-12-12 AT MSG

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Nov 10, 2012.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

rock 'n roll continues to follow the very successful footsteps of the post-9/11 fare:
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/a-benefit-concert-is-planned-for-victims-of-hurricane-sandy/?WT.mc_id=AR-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M279a-ROS-1112-L1&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_c=199531

i wonder if promoters will succeed in landing springsteen this time? i'd suggest following in the footsteps of the 'no-nukes' folks in '79, when jackson browne convinced bruce to finally put on a political hat. i believe 'no nukes' were bruce's first of such shows.

anyhoo, the organizers of those shows clinched the deal bypromising bruce would close the how with an hour-long set. 'twas my first live taste of 'the boss' and he had me at, 'hello, new york.' it was his first live set in a while; the long, hymnal cries for 'BROOOOOOOCE!' threw other performers off; chaka kahn was driven to tears, thinking se'd been booed throughout her set. when someone tried soothing her by explaining those weren't 'BOOS,' someone else interjected, 'ain't that the same thing?'

good point... i know bruce has taken part in festival shows in europe. does webster, estreet or anyone wlse know if he's done 'em in the u.s. in recent years? ??? ??? ???

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bruce plays in Mexico City on 12/10. I assume he will be there.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

hope you're right, web... but my concern is that bruce might want to avoid gang-bang shows in ny/nj in deference to the other acts on the bill. however, there may be ways to limit the 'BROOOOCE' factor, perhaps with a pre-emptive strike of sorts. i'd suggest having kick off the show with a relevant acoustic diddy befitting the occasion, and then have him tell the crowd to remember why they're there, to enjoy the show, and promise to end the evening with the estreet band as an exclamation point. maybe a 4-song set a gang-bang rendition o 'land of hopes and dreams.' you know, like mccartney for the 'concert for n.y.,' which ended with 'let it be' (and that piece of spit diddy he wrote and forced on everyone to follow 'lib' -- UGH!!!).

sound like a plan? ???

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

still adding to lineup; already features broooce and the estreeters; the who; mccartney; alicia keyes; billy joel, and others.... no word on who televises it but assuming hbo. idiot fatesca has been saying 'no word on whether it's being televised...' wtf? it's a feakin' telethon. how does he expect money to be raised unless it's on tv with the donation info on the screen. sheesh...

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/all-star-line-up-for-12-12-12-to-include-jon-bon-jovi-billy-joel-alicia-keys-paul-mccartney-b-20121115-00824

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dave Matthews Band has pledged $1 million, and all ticket and merchandise sales at the Nov. 30 show in East Rutherford will go to relief efforts as well.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Concert is less than a month away and they haven't announced ticket prices (which I'm going to assume are going to make Stones tickets at Barclay Center look cheap) or an on-sale date.
    I'm guessing TV will depend on who Clear Channel can get the most money from.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I hope the final lineup skews a little bit younger.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good on Dave.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm sure it will, but keep in mind the 'concert for 9/11' also leaned primarily towards trying to lure the, um, mature crowd. for good, sound reason: this is a drive for big $$$$$ and the most generous, deepest checkbooks are in the possession of their more, um, mature audience. i don't think it's a reach to say the vast majority of donors and thus the audience the promoters are gunning for are in geezerly range, say, 35-and-older. my friends aren't whipping out their credit cards because their favorite rappers are on the bill.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's money in the hip-hop community too. Small donations as well as large ones can add up to a whole lot. See: Obama campaign.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

there's money EVERYWHERE. the hip-hop nation and others have plenty of opportunities to donate. and will (ikely) be represented here. the promoters' own tastes run towards rock 'n roll, though, and let's face it, their intention is to stage a blockbuster rock 'n roll. i doubt that any of the superior/most successful musical acts are being turned away if their managers have reached out to be part of the show. bring 'em all on!

but do we expect the show to have a markedly more diverse cast of performers than the 9/11 show did? or

Draft saved Draft deleted