1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Comet Ping Pong thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess this is kind of a political story and kind of a journalism story, but, ultimately, it seems like its own story, worthy of its own thread.

The gist: Story circulates on fake news Web sites that D.C. pizza parlor is a front for a child sex ring involving Hillary Clinton. Lunatic shows up with a gun, saying he's there to investigate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/b...ng-pizza-shooting-fake-news-consequences.html

The fake news thing is an epidemic, and not only on the right. Google "Brock Turner speaking tour" if you don't believe that.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

People are idiots, and while it's funny on a certain level, it's not funny.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What disgusts me is how somebody can accuse someone of a very serious crime without any evidence at all to back it up and they don't seem to care who gets hurt or even killed.

Everyone was very lucky that nobody got hurt on Sunday, but if somebody eating lunch or an employee, most likely a member of the waitstaff or a busboy or someone, who was working their second or third job, got killed, I'm sure there would have been lies told about them, too.

But I guess that's just the way the game is played these days.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  4. Dick Whitman

I had some suspicion that people were stupid for most of my life. But social media has opened up the floodgates on stupid. Like, I didn't realize that 95 percent of the people I went to high school with are really, really, really dumb. Nice people, though.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'll withhold comment until we receive the official YFsplanation of how accurate the reports are, if it even happened in the first place, and which parts mean things and which parts don't.

6. Smallpotatoes

Once he finds something that liberals did that he thinks is just as bad, I'm sure we'll hear from him.

7. Dick Whitman

I tried to give him some cover by at least mentioning the Brock Turner Brigade on the left.

8. Dick Whitman

For the third time, damn it, fake Brock Turner stories.

9. Smallpotatoes

I saw that.

10. Dick Whitman

I put it at 90 percent that Inspector Gadget here doesn't believe Sandy Hook happened. Or at least has "questions."

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not just this one crazy white gunman (who would probably be a dead gunman if he were black). The staff at that pizza place and the surrounding businesses have been getting threatening calls and You Tube videos put up with claims of their part in this sex trafficking ring.

People are crazy and other people are willing to capitalize on the crazy.

(But maybe someone deserves to get shot for naming a pizza place Comet Ping Pong.)

Vombatus and Smallpotatoes like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted