1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 15, 2006.

1. Having a single thread for baseball helps keep it almost always on the front page. It also gives people interested in the subject somewhere to congregate without (hopefully) lots of idiot comments or post padding. I thought it was time for a college football thread along the same lines.

Notre Dame seems to be getting most of the pre-season press and I think with good reason but I'm curious what others think. Is West Virginia really that good? And along the same lines is Pat White really that good? Will Brian Brohm be healthy enough for Lousiville to knock off West Virginia in the Big East? Did Alabama play over their heads last year and are they too highly ranked this year? Will Navy crack the top 20? Who will be the surprise team? Who will be the unbeatable team this season?

I'm picking Ohio State to win it all and Brady Quinn to win the Heisman

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The season will end with major disagreement about the teams that should play for the national title -- the most significant disagreement since the start of the BCS.

There, I said it, and I haven't had my morning coffee yet. 8)

3. I also predict that the announcing of Brent Musberger will ruin the enjoyment of at least one game for me this season.

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Tell you the truth I am picking the Hurricanes to win it all this year.

5. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

They need to change the BCS to a playoff picture type thing or just have it like the NFL does use there system, or just make up a new playoff system so we wont have disagreements with people about who should play in the title game any more.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd rather go back to the old Bowl system.

7. Can you imagine Miami going into their last game against Boston College as #1 and then losing just like Notre Dame in 1993?

8. Armchair_QB

Let me think about th...No.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The University of Toronto Varsity Blues will still get blown out in every game.

Carry on.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm just glad you continue to prove how much of a douchebag idiot you are on a daily basis.

West Virginia is definitely for real, and if the Eers don't stay in the top 10 with that schedule, they'll be viewed as a major disappointment. ...

... Don't understand all the love around the ACC for Georgia Tech. As a friend of mine said last night, how does a loss to Utah in the Emerald Bowl set up for a BCS run the next year?

... I tend to agree with J_D, too. I can see a scenario where West Virginia is undefeated, Notre Dame has one loss, someone from the SEC has one loss and Ohio State is undefeated ... and West Virginia wouldn't get a sniff of the title game.

11. The West Virginia schedule is a blessing and a curse. The only real problem game I see is Nov 2nd with Louisville. However BCS does take strength of schedule into account and you're right that they may be passed over even if they are undefeated.

12. Armchair_QB

If they run the table, they'll be in the Fiesta Bowl unless there are more than two unbeaten teams. And there won't be.

If they lose one, however, they're fucked. Even if there are no unbeaten teams at the end of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted