1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The College Connection

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jul 20, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

My alma mater's journalism department publishes a quarterly tab pimping all of the grads working in journalism.

When I see that Tom Dickenharry graduated in the class of '85 and is now the publisher of a paper in Arizona, I wonder whether that might give me an edge when applying for a job. In particular, I'm talking about cases in which one applies directly to the person from your college. I haven't started a file, but it is nice to know that there are people out there who share some of your roots.

I'm not insinuating that it should mean diddly, but I wonder whether it does. Would you take a second glance at a resume if you saw that the applicant was from your beloved Shitsville State?

2. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

I can tell you that the fact that my current SE and I graduated from the same school and knew a lot of the same professors from said school had a lot to do with me getting the job. First of all, I never would have applied if not for the connection, and I spoke to the SE and had my stuff sent in well before the ad hit the internet. Obviously I still had to prove myself through the whole hiring process, but it didn't hurt that we had that connection and I'm sure it got my resume a few extra glances.

Of the three finalists for the job, two (myself and one other) shared an alma mater with the SE, and if I'm ever in a position to make a hire, I would definitely take notice of any graduates from my school/program.

3. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

The more connections you can make, the better. If it is through an alma mater, same home town, etc., go for it. If you went to the same college as an executive editor, I'd send the resume directly to them, even if it says send resumes to the managing editor. Bring up the fact you went to the same college.

That being said, it gets you noticed. It doesn't get you the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted