1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Collapse of MF Global

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 3, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

And are 40 to 1 leverage levels illegal now? Seriously?

Comingling funds had been for a long time but is excess leverage against a reg? I have not read Dodd-Frank but I thought that that now the regulators can now express concern about excess leverage but there is no hard and fast rule such as a 16 to 1 leverage ratio. I think, given the disaster that occurred when the SEC allowed the Big Five investment banks to run themselves into the ground we need something like that.

3. YankeeFan

A thousand jobs gone:

4. YankeeFan

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course it was illegal. They used clients' funds to try to hide proprietary losses they couldn't cover because they were leveraged to the hilt.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are you referring to comingling funds which I agree is illegal. I was referring to the leverage ratios. Is it still legal to have a leverage ratio of 40 to 1?

7. YankeeFan

This keeps getting worse, and the odds of Corzine landing in jail keep going up:

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

NY Times calls it a shortfall and the Washington Post says the money is missing. Those headlines don't imply the same meaning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/trustee-in-mf-global-case-says-12b-in-customers-money-missing-twice-what-firm-said/2011/11/21/gIQAfRhBiN_story.html

9. YankeeFan

10. YankeeFan

Newt must be laughing at the paltry sums Bill is charging:

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

This thread is still here?

Call me when Corzine gets 2-5 at Danbury.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Post-Enron and post-Madoff, Corzine won't get off so lightly. Probably eight years in PMITA minimum.

Draft saved Draft deleted