1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The collapse of antigay religion'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To your point it did not go well when Coke changed their formula. It was no
    longer Coca Cola. Channel # 5 may never be as popular as it once was
    but I doubt you will ever see Channel ever change it's essence.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Roman Catholic Church, at least as far as the official hierarchy is concerned (with perhaps one glaring exception) has dug in its heels pretty firmly on these issues, at least in the U.S.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not really surprising. This is just part of end times apostasy, abandoning one's principles in search of popularity.

4. Not so sure about that...
    My mother a devout Catholic as they come... has for the last few years - at the behest of the hierarchy - adopted the "Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner" approach. I suspect Pope Francis will further ease restrictions on gays in the church.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Slate must know different Christians than I do. The ones I hear from the most are still praying that America will turn away from this great sin.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I can promise you the Southern Baptists will never compromise on anything resembling gays and gay rights. They're going to sink or swim in opposition to the changing times. Hell, the church where I've been a member for nearly 15 years (but probably not much longer) just spent a bunch of money bringing in some mercenary clown for a "Creation Science Seminar," who tried to tell me with a straight face that the Grand Canyon was formed about 5,000 years ago by the Great Flood. I kid you not.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's not an uncommon position. America may no longer be a "Christian nation", but at least -- in comparison to other parts of the world --- people are free to believe as they choose without government interference.

I wouldn't expect a church to change its beliefs based on what is or is not popular. That would be disappointing. Even churches who hold that certain minority groups are inferior may not be popular, but they have reasons for holding to those positions and it's their right to do so under the First Amendment.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Churches that hold fast to a set of hard rules, and never change them based on circumstances or a sense of justice, clearly missed the lesson in Jesus' answers to questions posed by the Pharisees and chief priests.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Christian Rapper "Bizzle" not in this new-fangled camp. He makes his points heard in a response rap for Macklemore's "Same Love":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KQ4_uH1RA

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Which was what?

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

So Bob, you're saying the church should sway and swing with the winds of change?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The world is closing in
    Did you ever think
    That we could be so close, like brothers
    The future's in the air
    I can feel it everywhere
    Blowing with the wind of change

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.