1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The club gets ever larger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Voodoo Chile, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

I've known this day would come eventually, just like it will eventually come for all but the luckiest few who are left whenever journalism figures out in what form it will reinvent itself, but I was one of 30 people let go today in my shop.
    I don't know whether knowing the news would come eventually made it easier or not, because I have no idea how I would have reacted if the news was a shock, but it sucks anyway.
    I've been in and out of the business four times, but I always came back because everything else I ever did was just a job that I went to every day, but every story I ever wrote was a piece of who I am.
    I don't know where I go from here, but I can say that to whomever said getting laid off was liberating to them, I am profoundly jealous. It's anything but that for me.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That sucks. Good luck.

What chain did you work for?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Good luck.

4. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

Gannett.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shit, man. I'm sorry to hear that.
    About you. Not Gannett!

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry. If it's any comfort, after four years since being laid off I still miss newspaper work very much, but I don't miss it as often as I used to.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A wrenching experience. Hope you get something better, soon.

8. best of luck

9. Babs

Babs Member

A lot of people say this, but for me it was true a few years ago -- sometimes getting laid off is the best thing for you because it kicks you in another direction. You just don't thank the kicker at the time.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I say don't thank the kicker ever. They kick you without any intention that it will be a "good thing" for you. If you make it work in your favor over time, it has nothing to do with their decision to kick you.

F--- them forever, regardless of how well you do from that point forward.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it, VC. Good luck.

12. hang in there

better days ahead for you

Draft saved Draft deleted