1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Circle of Life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this thread for entirely different reasons. But great posts by C_K, YGBFKM and CB nevertheless.

To the first ... without question, you've brought up some balanced and aware children. That will continue, we have no doubt ...

To the last two ... enjoy every moment.

Dunno whether to play "Circle of Life" by Elton John or "We Said Hello Goodbye" by Phil Collins. Both fit right about now ...

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Thought I'd dredge up this one from the past.

It really seems like it was yesterday that I started this thread, and tonight we drive down to Statesboro one more time to attend the graduation ceremony tomorrow. It's almost inconceivable how fast the time has gone. And then the young man heads to Raleigh next month to work in ticket sales for the Carolina Hurricanes.

Then in August, we will do it all once more, as we head to empty nesthood after dropping our second son in Athens.

Enjoy every moment, moms and dads.

Big Circus and Baron Scicluna like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. Tomorrow is the 39th anniversary of my college graduation. Seems like yesterday.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We're going through a similar time of transition with our middle child, the son (who turns 18 next week). Big sis has been off at college for two years, and her transition didn't hit me so hard. I think that's partly because she spent a year commuting to Local U before heading off to Flagship U, so there was more time to process the change. Our son, whom we thought would follow roughly the same path, fucked up and got accepted to Flagship U as a freshman. So mom and I haven't had nearly as many months to get this square in our heads. But I also think I'm having a harder time with this one because the pace of these departures is starting to pick up. It's not an empty nest yet, but it's not going to be long.

I will say that I am ready to get tonight behind me. Our son is first cello for his school's top orchestra -- there are six orchestras (two for freshmen) in all -- and they're having their senior honors concert tonight. I know it's not over musically for him -- he's going to major in music education at Flagship U -- but it has been an absolute thrill watching him become the musician he is. I'm just not quite ready to close out that chapter. He's ready, more than ready in fact. But I'm not, and knowing that means I also know I am going to have a ridiculously hard time keeping my shit together tonight.

Little sis, who's 13, doesn't really know what's waiting on her. Because when mid-August comes around, and she's the only game in town ... Let's just say "center of attention" is probably going to be an understatement!

Draft saved Draft deleted