1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cincinnati Post winds down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Dec 9, 2007.

1. the fop

the fop Member

Having lived in this market, having known good people at both papers, and also having successfully subscribed to the Post at various addresses and having successfully purchased it from boxes and retail outlets as well, I have to say the larger issue is the Post being a PM paper in an Internet world.

2. I would agree with that. I once worked at an afternoon paper in a dying JOA. Yes, the more powerful paper didn't exactly help us thrive. But even if the big morning paper had been selling our paper and our ads with messianic zeal, the paper still would have died. The market wasn't big enough to support two daily papers, and it certainly wasn't going to support the afternoon one.

The JOAs -- brazen monopolies that enriched many newspaper companies -- saved my/our jobs, at least temporarily. I think me and most of my coworkers knew the end was coming eventually, and prepared accordingly. It sucks, but that's the best you can do.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

?

lol

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i don't have any kids... that i am legally responsible for... to the best of my knowledge... i swear, she said she was 18!

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was a reference to BBJones inanity on the Sun desker tragedy thread. Sorry it sailed over everyone's heads. Carry on.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Slappy got it, wick. Trust me.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I didn't know, Doc. Slappy's a smart guy and all, but sometimes I get too esoteric.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't flatter yourself.

Slappy's not that smart.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

who, now?

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I was reminded today - by a phone call from my dad, who I don't think even knew I ever worked for the Post (seriously; although it has been a while) - that the paper's time is almost done.

Does anyone know if any of the sports guys (I know two - although I assume Terry Boehmker will hang 'em up, peripherally know another) have jobs elsewhere lined up? You can PM me if you want to make things easier and/or less cluttered.

11. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

How about Lonnie Wheeler? Best sports columnist in Ohio.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought that was Ace?

Draft saved Draft deleted