1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cincinnati Post winds down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Dec 9, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Something I've been thinking about as we count down the days to the New Year - the Cincinnati Post will soon no longer exist.

I know there is at least one member of that paper who visits this board - and definitely many ex-Boast employees, including myself.

Many fond memories of that little place and a lot of good people worked there.

I hope those that work there and are aiming to stay in the business have leads to find work elsewhere (one person I know I believe is probably going to leave the business).

Anyway, it is still weeks away, but be sure that I'll tip a glass at some point to the Post.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How big is the paper and why is it closing?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Tis a shame. It was considered Cincy's quality paper.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

27/37 (Sat.). Because the Enquirer ended the JOA.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070717/BIZ/707170339

5. Thank you, Gannett, for your continuing contribution to the effort to make this business truly suck.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I remember stringing some Michigan stories for the Post when I was in Ann Arbor. Somewhere tucked away in a drawer I think I have a Kevin Hahn business card. And as a Scripps cancer survivor, I can feel for the Post employees.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

It's strange. I've known about the shutdown for what seems like years now, but it feels like its arrived rather suddenly.

To my favorite Reds writer, I wish you the best of luck. I have no doubt that you're headed for bigger and better things.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

What's scary is if you look at the 1974 thread, you'll see the post once was the bigger paper in Cincy, with a circ of over 200,000.

A sad demise.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That one's on Scripps, not Gannett.
    Far as I know, Scripps has shuttered far more big-city papers than Gannett has.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Knowing that the end has been coming for so long, how is anyone left at the place still even tickling a keyboard? Mega props to those soldiering on.

11. Then what's all this, then?

The decision by Scripps to cease publication comes three years after the company was notified by the Gannett Co., owner of the Cincinnati Enquirer, that the 30-year contractual agreement under which the Enquirer handles business operations for The Post would not be renewed when it expired at the end of this year. Under that agreement, advertising and subscription sales, production and distribution were handled for The Post newspapers by the Enquirer, but the news operations and the editorial pages were separate and competed with each other.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it's on both -- gannett for not following through with the terms of the joa and scripps for not fighting it and making sure they did. fuck them both

Draft saved Draft deleted