1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The church bell chimed till it rang 29 times....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The last time we had this discussion, I went out and bought a Lightfoot greatest-hits CD. I was surprised how many of the songs I remembered. They definitely still hold up.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good choices, but i have to stay with EMR simply because i have emotional ties to the tune. and that's why GL is such a great artist, because he has the ability to reach our emotions.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have always loved "Song for a Winter's Night".

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The same History Channel show also mentioned that some of the hatches on top weren't fully dogged down, and that's how it took on water so quickly. Plus, the massive size of the ship doomed it because once it go hit by the rouge waves, they just broke her back.

It's hard to explain to someone that has never seen the Great Lakes the true size of them. People hear "lake" and just think big lake, not inland seas, which is what they really are.

I used to live about 200 yards off Lake Michigan. I can say that I do not recommend coming outside about 5:30 a.m. in early February. The dang wind off the lake is what getting stabbed must feel like.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you have a bright future here, newb.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

As far as diving on it and bringing up anymore artifacts, I think the bell is enough, and most if not all of the families agree. There were human remains there that had been tentatively visually identified according to some Fitzgerald buffs. Not surprising at all given the lake conditions.

It's a gravesite and should be left alone, and I believe that diving on it is not allowed without some kind permit. Other Great Lakes wrecks have remains and are open to sport divers and I think that's wrong.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I know all too well of what you speak.

Although it was kinda cool to sit in front of the window, turn the lights off and just watch a thunderstorm roll in off the lake.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

"Lake.........big lake."

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

ohhh sexxxxy, girrrrlll friennnnd

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

No more yankee my wankee - the Donger need food!!

And yes, I know I'm going to hell for Sixteen Candle-jacking the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Four-chord Gord weeps.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Outstanding.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Most of the Great Lakes shipwrecks are now protected, so it's illegal to bring up any booty or souvenirs you might find.

Lake Superior has a lot of rocky bottoms that come up quickly. You can go from deep, deep water to a rockbar (is that what you call a rock sandbar?) in a hurry. That's the cause of what I saw on my shipwrecks tour off the coast of Munising -- ships that came upon shallow rock bottoms.

Draft saved Draft deleted