1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The church bell chimed till it rang 29 times....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In your opinion. I don't like him.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If You Could Read My Mind, hondo, you wouldn't like what I'm thinking about you right about now. ;D

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Saw a show a while back on maybe the History or Discovery Channel and that was their conclusion. One or two "rouge waves" were picked up on radar, how I don't know, but shortly after that the Aurthur Anderson lost contact.

The Anderson went back out to look for survivors. Took some guts to do that.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, that's it. Just across the street from the Ren Cen.

It's actually Mariners Church of Detroit, not Maritime Sailors Cathedral (which must have sounded better for the song).

They do a blessing of the fleet every spring (can't remember the month). And they remember all Great Lakes deaths in November (in addition to the 29 bell tolls for the Fitzgerald).

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

No kidding. The captain and crew of the Anderson deserved medals for that.

I saw the same show and the captain of the Anderson talked about the two waves that came up from behind and almost swamped his ship. Because the Fitz was ahead of the Anderson, it's believed the same waves brought the Fitz down a short while later.

The Fitz had been taking on water because, it's believed by many, it had scraped the bottom at Six Fathom Shoal in northern Lake Superior. Ironically, it was a route both ships had taken because they were seeking some kind of land shelter from the storm. The Fitz had apparently already lost its radar, which would have helped the ship to stay clear of Six Fathom Shoal.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Seen GL twice, at Artpark in Lewiston, N.Y. in 1974 and in Mircoville about 20 years later. Not a dynamic showman but he put on a great show.

His music does hold up, decades later, especially the late 1960s-early 1970s stuff, like Canadian RR Trilogy, Summer Side of Life, Mountains & Marian, etc.

The EF was headed for Detroit, not Cleveland. But it's tough to find a rhyme for Detroit, I suppose.

ri

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah. but consider the source.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Foreboding seemed to be Gord's stock in trade. Sundown (great song) is very much in that spirit.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nothing beats early morning rain.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Tomas, I know you and I could go on for hours on this subject.

But I'll take "Beautiful" or "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" or "Fine as Fine Can Be" for my starters. Maybe even "Rainy Day People."

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

One of the lifeboats they found.

[​IMG]

And IIRC, the ship's bell is the only thing they brought up from the shipwreck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted