1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christmas Bonus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hey, I'm sure they make good rags while washing/waxing the car. :D

2. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

We got a Chick-fil-A gift card.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

When I started at my former paper, we got $25 gift certificates from a grocery store.

Then we got downgraded to hams. Wouldn't have been bad, except I don't really care for ham. At least the boys liked it.

Then we got nothing.

On a far more laughable note, I found out recently that the paper's social committee ran out of money after having to buy farewell gifts for all the laid-off former employees, myself included. The paper's Christmas party, formerly a big shindig, has now been reduced to hot dogs in the lunch room after the local Santa Claus Parade. I just about pissed my pants when I heard that. :D

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nothing says Christmas like hot dogs.
    We're making an East Coast visit after Christmas, and Gray's Papaya is on the 'must do' list.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Please, I am a much better person than that. My old cheap-ass company T-shirts were donated to the cause of clothing the homeless.

Somebody should get to wear 'em. I certainly didn't. :D

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We were offered a $15 gift card to the nearby grocery chain - though they would tax us - a dinner-and-dance, a chance to see a matinee at a specific time or a somewhat passable pullover quarter-zip fleece.

The gift card is a joke, especially factoring in the tax to our paystubs. Dinner-and-dance ... for those of you who know me, that's really funny. Matinee? Already say "The Blind Side."

At least the fleece is black. Might be handy to keep in the car should it get a little chilly around here.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I've been with my current shop since 2002, and up until last year, each year we received a $35 gift certificate which could be used at a handful of various area stores. I usually used it to buy vitamins and a years' supply of razor blades. Stuff like that.

Since receiving our last 'bonus' in 2007, there have been the typical pay freezes, layoffs and furloughs. And the unspoken attitude of 'be thankful you have a job,' which, of course, is all relative.

Oh, and we've never had a Christmas party.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

We don't get a monetary bonus, but we had a company holiday party today where we get a nice dinner (really lunch in our case) put together by a really good local restaurant in town. So while it sucks not to get anything money-wise, they at least try to do something for us.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My Christmas bonus? Although we have Christmas Day off, additional shows are being added in the week so we work the same number of hours. Oh yeah ... and the show closes January 3rd. Happy New Year!

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

none for us this year. hurts badly. my shop was one of the last to give one, which increased by 500 bucks annually. but at least they rolled over the bonus into your weekly salary.

but mrs. shockey received an unexpected bonus of 1,999 after taxes today, which helps.

but on another holiday note, the family chanukah party tomorrow is in peril due to threats of awful snowstorms headed our way. hope my mom can get her money back for the deli platter, kasha varnishkes and knishes she ordered and is supposed to pick up in the morning.

sigh.

maybe my dad to bring out the goods before the storm hits. the shockey family will be set for the week!

11. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Our bonus was $200 this year down from $350 the year before. Just happy to get a little something as shitty a year as its been in this business.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not a newspaper gig, but the parent company of my electronic publishing shop sent me two huge bags of pecans and a very nice card.
    Pecans? As you might guess, parent company is southern.

Draft saved Draft deleted